Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Velvet Revolver "Contraband"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Based on the strength of the song "Slither" which has been available on AOL for a few weeks, I bought the new band Velvet Revolver's debut album "Contraband" today.

Velvet Revolver is a new project of Slash and Duff McKagan whom I probably don't need to say are best known for their work with Guns 'n' Roses. They have also brought along their bandmate Matt Sorum on drums. They have added frontman Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots fame and Dave Kushner on second guitar. He is a Los Angeles studio musican and has appeared in several bands including Dave Navarro's.

Wow! These guys are hard driving, but they definitely have a sound that recalls Stone Temple Pilots thanks to Weiland. Rumors have it that Sebastion Bach was also considered for the position Weiland won. One has to wonder how the band would have sounded with Bach instead, but I do think Bach is a very expressive singer and a stunningly dramatic frontman in live shows. Just hope he can stay clean and sober for the tour.

While I mentioned that VR's sound evokes STP, I also definitely hear some Alice in Chains in some songs, even though no personnel from that band appear.

If you are a fan of any of these musicians or the music of any of the bands mentioned above, you may find some genuine excitement in this record. It is high energy. I bet their stage show will be too.

There is one power ballad on the CD, "Fall to Pieces" which I really like and a radio friendly partially acoustic ballad, "You Got No Right." The CD ends with another ballad "Loving the Alien" which I may eventually like with time and more listening. This CD needs those three ballads because the rest of the songs are hard driving and heavy.

No question...this band can write good songs and this band can play. Whether they will be as popular as the heavily laden talent in the band would indicate remains to be seen. I'm glad I bought this CD, although I seldom listen to this style of music anymore.

Anybody else here familiar with Velvet Revolver. I'd like to read your comments. Do you think they will be as successful as STP and G 'n' R?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I got the CD yesterday and Im still recovering from the dissapointment of finding out I cant tranfer the songs to MP3 format and play them in iTunes or on my iPod with out running around in circles. Part of it involves burning the CD and I dont have any blank CDs. I was pretty pissed at that.

Anyways, enough about the BS the record label does and lets get to the band.

I definetly hear major STP influence in this stuff. I barely hear any GNR. One thing that keeps getting me is that I feel like Rob DeLeo's lines should be there but they arent. Not that Duff is bad, Im just a huge fan of Rob.

The album seems a lot more mainstream and pop. I wouldnt say they are selling out, but it sounds like they wanted to be more crowdpleasing and less artsy. They still have all the charachter and are just as heavy, but it feels more pop to me.

Thats my impression after listening to it 2 or three times. Its a pain for me to listen to it since I dont have a read CD player and I always just listen to music off my iTunes library.

Peace
    Nick

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i am really liking this cd, i just got it. a little bit of it is really slow, but it is still good. overall it has a ton of energy in it, and i also think that they would be an awsome show to see. GREAT CD :bassist:.

4. devain21to7

devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    sippi
    First of all , i just wanna say that the shiny , snakeskin , spandex pants Weiland wears in the Slither video he stole from ME!!!! I have a pair just like that , which i wear to gigs>

But anyway , the CD kicks ass. It destroys anything STP ever did and leaves G'n'Rs Spaghetti Incident and Lies in the dust. Maybe the next one can match Use your Illusion I and II and Appetite.

Duffs is just a badass, Slash is always awesome , although im not a STP fan , i do like Scotts vocals in this album, and matt and the other dude rock the hell outta the rythmn with duff.

5. Boplicity

The GNR I hear in VR is mainly in Slash's solos. Slash just will always sound like Slash. That is not to say I don't enjoy Slash. I remember some guitar magazines back in the early 90s not giving him enough credit. I thought he was actually quite under rated. Plus, he has survived where Axl has not done anywhere nearly as well since the unfortunate GNR breakup.

I do miss Robert DeLeo. I also miss STP lyrics which are such a vibrant part of their music. The VR Cd label credits all band members with writing, so I wonder who actually did do most of the lyrics. Also, when I got home with my CD, I noticed the cover said "edited version", so I don't even know what the real lyrics are.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have the non edited version and the lyrcs are just as dissapointing compared to STP lyrics. They are fine, but not on the same level.

7. Boplicity

I'm not so sure this album will have the same impact of GNR. That is NOT to say the music isn't cool, but what I am saying is that this type of music is not particularly innovative and brings nothing truly revolutionary to the table. The music is enjoyable enough, but not great.

I'm certain these artists can put on a really high energy show and their fans from the past will be eager to see them again, but I think bands have to offer something truly fresh and seminal in order to sell millions and millions of CDs or to cause a rash of imitators.

I don't think this band will inspire much imitation, because it is essentially a rework or compendium of previous STP and GNR sounds. It's good enough, mind you and I think VR will do OK, but I don't think they will ever outsell GNR's and STP's catalog of work.

Still if VR can inspire the level of enthusiasm you have, Devain, I may be dead wrong in my evaluation.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, this album isn't THAT good at all. it's a good album though. that's it.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Agree with Bop.

Nothings comming from this. Im pretty sure its mainly a treat for GNR and STP fans and thats all really.

Peace
    Nick

10. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Why do guys have a problem with Slash?He was one of my main influences on guitar til I heard Steve Harris and switched over to bass).

Duff is a bad a$$ all right.Though I prefer Bach's vocals to Weiland

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually I gotta ask why there is so much talk about Duff.

He doesnt strike me as anything special from the VR album but I admit I dont know much GNR.

Is there something Im missing?

12. Boplicity

Before Fieldy, Duff was the bassist everyone most loved to kick around. I don't feel his bad rep is entirely deserved. However, I do recall the last GNR concert I saw, Duff appeared to be stoned or drunk and was staggering all over the stage, but I often wondered if that wasn't just part of a GNR sex, drugs and rock& roll act to enhance their bad boy image. Or not. It may indeed have been genuine given some of the things I've read about them.

Metallica played first that night and it was striking how disciplined and well played Metallica's set was, then here comes uber bad boys GNR and I have never heard a more ragged set from pro musicians in my life. They broke up only weeks after that. Slash was the only one holding the band together that night or so it seemed.

Only a few years later Fieldy became the bassist other bassists most liked to kick around. I'm glad to see Duff did not let all the criticism stop him from playing. The truth he is probably better than many who made fun of him.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thing is I keep hearing people get all excited over the fact that Duff is in VR. Im suprised he's so well thought of. Not that he's bad, but I dont think he's anything special.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nick- he was one of the very few bassists that contributed and could be heard in the songs their band created. He could be heard clear as day and he did more than thump along. Similiar to Hamilton in Aerosmith back in the day.

15. Well,Velvet Revolver is a good band. The album sounds similar to STP in some of the songs,that's right,but I think maybe with the time and a couple of more listenings you'll probably like the album better. :bassist:

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually, I have noticed that he cuts through nicely.

17. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Any idea what bass and amp he's using?
    I love the sound in Sucker Train Blues.

18. As are most of the bass players that get made fun of here. :meh:

I don't have the VR album, I might get it, I used to dig GnR back in the day, and I've found new appreciation for STP in the past few years. What I haven't liked about what I've heard on the radio is the downtuned and drop tuned stuff. These guys are good enough musicians they don't need to be whipping off one finger chords. I can understand tuning down a half step to match your singer, but Weiland doesn't have major range limitations. I also didn't dig the solo wankfest at the end of Slither. Yes, Saul, you're a good guitar player. Maybe it was just mixed too up front for my tastes or whatever.

19. Back with GNR he used a P/J Fender, but I don't know if that holds true to this day.

EDIT: Some info I've found claims he used GK cabs and a mix of GK and Peavey heads. Apparently he used Rotosound Swing 66 stainless strings. I don't know if he's still using the aformentioned.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I here some riffs from STP NO. 4 Album in the new VR Single. Scott is a great Musican, i would just like to see him fix things with the guys in STP so the can make Music together again.