Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Velvet Revolver.....SMOKIN'!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JPJ, May 19, 2004.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Just got back from the Velvet Revolver show at the Riviera in Chicago this evening. I've seen STP many times throughout their career, but never saw GNR when they were around....what a show! :hyper: This gig was sold out, and I'm sure that tickets are going fast. If you're thinking about checking these guys out, I'd recommend it. It was a rockin' show from start to finish, and you get VR, STP, and classic "Appetite" era Guns tunes as well. Great stuff!!! ;)

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's good to see Slash doing something, instead of Axl., who's just being pretentious prick who thinks the world still cares. I just hope Scott stays clean. (I'm cynical about that though)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've been wondering about them. So, the music's good, huh? I'm thinking of copping the CD.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    That one single they have rocks, I think they will do fairly good

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Who besides Scott is in it from STP?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Scott is the only one

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Decent stuff from the cuts I've heard...........although I still think Slash is a big "nothing" who can't bring out the brawn on a Les Paul.

IMO, the guitarist in The Donnas makes him sound like a limp and a wimp.

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

huh? You have heard slash play, right?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No, I'm fantasizing :rolleyes: ...........even though I had the misfortune to go to a GNR "concert" in St. Louis where they walked off the stage/didn't show up and caused a near riot, as they sometimes did by disrespecting their audiences and their supporting bands.

McKagan has really become so much better, IMO, now that he has cleaned his act and gotten his head on straight.

It's just my opinion.........live with it.........music is "art" and art is subjective.......some people think Picasso sucks. I don't like him or his sound at all...you do.....that's okay.

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Robert DeLeo > Duff McKagan

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    They seem to be quite good...although I don't get the fuzz about McKagan :eyebrow: , I saw a live recording of GnR from 10 years ago, and he seemed like the regular pick playing hardrock bassplayer...

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    As long as Scott stays clean they're gonna totally be the shot in the arm that rock needs! I totally have my doubts about Scott's ability to accomplish this but hope he can.
    The tracks off of the debut album "Contraband" I have heard are awesome. I am a total fan of GNR's good ole' days and STP was a great group. I can't wait to see VR when they come to Dallas.
    McKagen has always been one of my favorite players.
    The bass chops and tone on Appetite For Destruction are some of the best in my opinion. His work never was very technical but it really cuts through.
    I read an interview in Bass Player I think where he proclaimed his sobriety and laughed about his days with GNR where he couldn't remember touring in other countries but was reminded by looking at his old passports!!
    Time will tell, they've def got the means to make a go of it though.

13. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Slash plays from the heart.His technique might be sloppy at times,but after Zakk Wylde,he must be the most kick-a** guitarist around.Listen to Estranged and November Rain.

Duff rulz-nuff said.

Scott is ok,IMO.

14. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Learned to play 'Slither' last night. Now theres an energetic song to play.

PS - Mckagan > A lot of people. Not the technical stuff, but just the sound, the stage presence, hes a great all round bassist.

Jack

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've always liked McKegan's playing. (though I think I've heard rumours that a lot of his parts were ghosted) I've had to learn Sweet Child O' Mine a couple of times, (oddly enough, the bands always drop that song before we decide to gig with it) and there are a lot of tasteful fills going on.

I have always dug Slash's playing. I have "It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere" and it smokes.

Like I said, it's good to see former members of GnR doing things, instead of Axl. who thinks that music world still cares.

16. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    True, he's by no means a bad bassist, just nothing spectacular.