!!!!!!!!!Veneer Idea!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyKnOw, Aug 4, 2004.

1. RyKnOw

Jul 23, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hi, I just bought a Warwick Corvette so I won't be playing my Ibanez that much any more. I have alredy defreted it and fill the slot and sanded etc. I dont want the lines visible so could I go to Home Depot or something and buy like a thin ebony veneer or vinyl decal or somthing to stick on the the finger board....would this change the sound at all, would i be able to put so poly on it. any Ideas are great, PLEASE DOT FLAME, I SEARCHED FOR 2 HOURS.... Thanks alot :help:
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can buy a black fingerboard stain for your fretboard off of stewmac.com. If you put a coat on your freboard, it'll appear all one tone and look ebony. I'll get you a link.

3. RyKnOw

Jul 23, 2004
    Oklahoma City
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    From what I've heard, most ebony that you find isn't really as black as you'd think. Often times it's dyed to give that jet-black appearance you're looking for.

My recommendation is to dye the fingerboard using an ebony stain, if you're going to do anything.

I would NOT recommend gluing a veneer to the fretboard as it will change the playability (raise the fretboard a little) and possibly alter the tone.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i say go for the vinyl. I 've seen some nice patterns in the "kitchen "dept.at HD.
  6. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    :p :p :p

I think some black stain should do you good.
  7. RyKnOw

Jul 23, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    ok thanks guys, ill try the stain