1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

veneer top with strat type output

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pat5s, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    i want to build a bass with p bass body and p/j config. my decision for the finish is mango veneer. is it wise to use strat type jack on the veneer? or is it wiser to put the side output jack on the side?

this is the link example for side strat output jack

strat type output on side - Penelusuran Google

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I am not a fan of the look of a Strat jack plate built into the side of the guitar. I would opt for a Tele Electrosocket if I were you

upload_2016-8-4_10-11-23.

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    No problem with a strat jack on veneer, assuming you aren't planning on a thin veneer over a hollow chamber.

4. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    for info, how thin is "thin veneer"?

5. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    If it's thin enough to be called veneer (what, 1-2mm thick) it won't support anything by itself. Is it a solid body with veneer glued on top, or chambered with unsupported mango on top?

6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    This is what the OP was talking about. Not sure what the veneer has to do with it

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7SkqMHAqwQJh3wp3-EbC66Q1sg1o7QpFuI7Z6yIJbcNaVGhfuBQ.

7. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Oh, I missed that. Was thinking it was going on the top and that his concern was whether veneer could support it. Now I'm really confused by the question.

8. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    lol my first question is :

is it good for strat output type to go over the veneer? im afraid it looks bad (just aesthetical not technical) i dont want to ruin the veneer with the strat output.

the second :

if i dont want to ruin the veneer, is it wiser to use the strat jack on the side body?

sorry for the confusion.

it is p bass with p/j and solid body

thanksss :D

9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    My strat actually has a flame maple veneer on it. The veneer is attached prior to routing so it's no big deal that there is veneer present. If you're applying a veneer it is to enhance the look of the instrument, why mess that up with an output? If I was going to the trouble to veneer an instrument I'd keep it as clean as I could; not even a pickguard (rear route.)

10. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    hell yeah men this is what i talking about. gonna pick the side for strat output jack.. thanks a lot!

11. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I don't understand why you would want to put a Strat jack plate, that is designed to be mounted on a flat surface on the side when there are much better options, like a barrel jack or that Electrosocket I posted earlier.

12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    While the Strat jack plate adds that little touch of 'je nous se qua' we'd all like to have in a build, I'm with Hopkins here. Also for the mechanically inclined you're distracting them from your mango veneer. The veneer should be the center of attention. Save your side strat jack plate for a 'steampunk' (zat rite?) build.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  13. pat5s

pat5s

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you for your opinion. Well actually the meaning of custom (fori me) is made the only one for yourself. Im also not gonna built steampunk bass. I'm just looking for cool looking and versatile bass. Thank you once again guys...