Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Veneer Wood & Glue Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kelly Lee, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, I'm still working on my BCR. The body is stripped and the neck is almost completely stripped. BTW, a heat gun works like a charm for removing Polyester paint finishes! :D

Back on topic. The neck really impressed me with how nice the Maple looked after stripping. Unfortunately, I didn't know that BCR had put a thin Maple veneer on the face of the headtsock. When I was scraping the Poly off with the heat gun it softened the glue and I inadvertantly ruined the veneer :crying: :help:

So, I plan to sand the rest of it off and put a on new veneer. I have found a 1/42" Madrona Burl veneer that I like the looks of.
    Question 1: Is this wood OK for dyeing and is there anything special about it I should know about it?

Question 2: What would be the proper adhesive for doing this?

Any help on either of these questions, or whatever else you feel might be helpful, is greatly appreciated. BTW, I plan on doing this within the next couple of weeks. If needed, I can post pics.

Sorry for the long post.

2. First off, it's hard to judge without seeing the veneer because madrone burl can come in lots of different varieties. I've got some scrap here in the shop that you couldn't tell they were even the same species.

3. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    This is the Madrona I'm looking at. It is the lighter piece.
    [​IMG]

I think it would look rather nice on my headstock. BTW, I have thought about leaving it natural as I might do an inlay with some blue paua.

Ideas? Thoughts?

4. You can dye that but you might loose a little detail if the color is too dark. And what ever you use to seal it with will darken it dramatically.

5. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
  6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks Hambone. I guess I'll have to experi9ment with some of the other pieces to see how it is going to look.

Thanks for the link Naja.

7. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Update...I purchased that lot of Madrona Burl veneer. I like the looks and there is enough there to experiment on so, why not?:D

As naja brought up the glues and the process involved, what are your opinions on this?
    PVA or hide glue or ???
    Any particular tips or pitfalls to either?

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks.

8. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    I've not done any veneer work yet, so I can't really comment other than just posting a link. From what I've read online I think I'll be going with hide glue when I start playing with veneer in a few months.

Definately let us how what you use and how it turns out!

9. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I use epoxy for veneering the pickguards and control plates. The only pitfall is that the epoxy will almost always bleed trough the veneer. As i later pore fill with epoxy anyway (idea stolen from Wilser ;) ), I don't care but this can be problematic for other type of finishes, like oil.

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I'm taking on a veneering project right now too. I'm going to put a quilted Sapele Pomele top on an unfinished body. I've never done this before, but this guy has all the stuff you'll need and quite a bit of FAQ's and tech support advice. I bought some of his veneering glue, and a softening solution which will allow the veneer to conform to the body contours. You can check out the site here: He's got some nice stuff.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/

Slug

11. Wood Ascention

Wood Ascention

Nov 7, 2004
    I do quite a bit of veneer work for my job. And we use a two part urea glue. Just about any glue will work PVA(Titebond), Epoxy, Hide, Urea, Poly... Traditional veneer work has always used a protene base glue (hide or urea). My suggestion is get a bottle of ready to use hide glue, not the heat to melt kind, and do a sample. Good luck.

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Are there any brand names you'd recommend? Also, how smooth do I have to sand the body? I'm at 1500 now. Should I rough up the body to a with a more coarse sandpaper prior to bonding the veneer?

Thx
    Slug

13. You should try the special veneer glue from www.joewoodworker.com. It's a special aliphatic resin glue with pecan shells in it. It cures crystal hard and the pecan shells help prevent bleed through. I use it as a standard glue even for putting together bodies and it works great. Veneering is very easy with it because the glue eliminates the "creeping" that veneer can do as you clamp it up.

14. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, the veneer arrived today! :hyper: It looks better in person than it does in the above pic.

I will be starting my trial and error phase as soon as my dye arrives. I plan on trying several different ideas on it so it should be fun and informative for me.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input and links. Ofcourse, I'm still open to any input or ideas. Thanks again! :D

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Yep, I ordered the veneer, glue, and a "softening agent" from Joe W.W. The order should be here in a few days. This is gonna be interesting. I wonder how it'll come out.

Thx
    Slug

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> How thick is the veneer? Let us know how you're coming along!

Good Luck

Slug

17. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The veneer is 1/42" thick. I bought it from the Ebay seller Thin Wood and Old Tools of which was highly recommended to me. I must say I'm definately happy with the veneer and shipping time was pretty quick. Its also pretty nice that the pics you see in their auctions are of the actual pieces your getting.

I'll definately keep you posted as to what I learn and end up going with. I can hardly wait! :D

Which glue at JWW is the one Hambone is talking about? I read each adhesives info but can't figure out which one it was.:help:

18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I think he's talking about "Better Bond". I ordered "Heat Lock" but I'm having second thoughts about it... The veneer I ordered is about the same thickness as yours, Joe WW says it measures out at .027-.033. Wow, it's thin stuff...No room for errors....Here's the stuff I ordered. It's called Sapele Pomele. Never heard of it, but it looks like quilted maple.

Slug

19. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The problem is that there is the Better Bond Heat-Lock, Better Bond Ultra-CAT PPR, and the regular Better Bond veneer glue.

:confused: It is safe to say I'm a little confused.

20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Hmmm... Me too... I hate it when I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't want to ruin this project.:oops: