1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Veneering a cheap bass experiment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Labi, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    OK here's the story. I recently did some furniture refurbishment at home and while hanging out with this carpenter at his workshop, I came with an idea of refurbishing one of my basses as well. Actually it was this beautiful roll of veneer that gave me the idea. It was some sort of a zebra wood imitation. I asked the guy if he could do the veneering on a guitar and he asked me if he could see it first since he had never done one. After getting the green light from him, I decided to do it on a cheap jazz bass copy that I owned for more than 10 years but never really touched it since. So we cut a piece of that beautiful veneer and glued it. It stayed there overnight to dry with some bags of sand on top to give it a nice pressure. The next day I noticed that the veneer was glued perfectly but was disappointed to see that we'd put it a bit of center and the vertical lines are not 100% vertical. I didn't mind since this was the first time doing this and I knew that mistakes are easy to make. I then took a knife and cut round the body of the bass and then sanded off the the edges. I noticed another mistake I made, I didn't mark the bridge screws. :rollno:
    We also did the matching headstock. I then decided to do another thing. Originally the fretboard was maple with black inlay blocks which I didn't like. So I decided to put veneer on it as well. Yes I know that veneering the fretboard is not a smart idea, but as I said this was a cheap copy and my aim was to make it look good and not play good. So I found this veneer which was quite similar to rosewood and glued it on. Sanded of the excess and put some matte lacquer just as a protection.
    So here are the pics of the bass as it is now. Next I will be painting the back and the sides and lacquer it and then put the hardware on.
    So if I didn't bore you with this and if you are interested to hear and see the rest of the process, let me know. I'll be happy to put more pics when it's finished.

2. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Here's a pic of the matching headstock (needs to be sanded of and lacquered again) and another view of the body.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Wow, thats really great!
    here's my armchair grading
    body: A

neck & head: C+

4. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    And the veneer roll.
    I forgot to mention that I won't be putting any frets on this fretboard. I don't think I will be able to do it on my own.

5. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    An A? Wow thanks.
    And the neck will improve soon cause I only worked on the veneer and not the sides yet. I'm hoping for a B at least. :hyper:
    And yeah it was a stupid idea to go with the MM type headstock :atoz:

6. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Very nice!