1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Venmo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I am Soma, Jun 26, 2018.

1. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    howdy all! has anyone used Venmo for sales here on talkbass? i see it is owned by PayPal but also has terrible reviews and seems to be one of the apps of choice for scammers as you cancel the payment once sent.

i have a bass for sale here and got an offer but it had to be via Venmo and when i said PayPal only they said not interested. i am definitely not 100% sure this was a scam attempt but seemed a little convenient that the person was not a paying member with 0 transactions.

just wondering if anyone has had any successful sales with Venmo or if it is even allowed by talkbass policies.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You are allowed to take any form of payment you wish, as long as you don’t charge for fees (such as PayPal fees).

I’ve heard of Venmo, but have never used it, so I can’t comment on that. I’d be a little cautious about it, if it’s true that scammers like to use it.

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    If you send an invoice through PayPal, the buyer doesn't even need a PayPal account. Just a credit card. It seems highly suspicious that they'd refuse PayPal. But you (seller) will get dinged 2.9% via that method. I think it’s 2.9% anyway.

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    A lot of ppl I know use Venmo. I've never had personal experience because I live in Canada and the service isn't available here but some of my friends in NYC use it to pay rent, borrow and repay money with friends, etc.

There are definitely ppl who won't use PayPal... I was one of them for a while, as I was in a long dispute with them but that all got cleared up (although I'm still very cautious as a seller using PayPal). If you are concerned about being scammed, you should just not accept that tool for payment. If the buyer won't use another method, I'm sure there will be another buyer coming along soon enough. Besides, these days there are a ton of online payment tools, as well as the old analog ones like certified cheques and stuff. I recommend having a conversation with the potential buyer and explore the different avenues available to you both.

Do you know why they won't use PayPal? Have you ever tried Venmo, or are you just going by third-hand experience and reviews?

5. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Just going off consumer affairs and wikipedia....which definately doesnt mean its junk

6. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    I would say it doesn't really matter what method you use, as long as it's understood that the bass won't be shipping until the funds are nestled cozily in your bank account. Yes, sometimes that may take a day or two AFTER they pay you, but as long you're upfront about it, it shouldn't be weird. Am I wrong here?

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I once sent a friend money through Venmo. I’m sure it’s fine and as trustworthy as PayPal, but unbeknownst to him, it showed me all of his transactions including dollar amounts and the people he gave and received money from. Apparently that’s a default setting you have to opt out of. That’s the only sketchy bit about it as far as I know.

8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    :eek::rollno:

Wow. Talk about a bad idea on the part of Venmo developers.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Pictures of the people too. I’m guessing they used their Facebook login for it. I suppose the idea is to make it into social media of a sort.

10. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Venmo is designed for sending money to family and friends, not for purchasing goods from individuals. It offers little protection for sellers outside of Authorized Partner Apps. If you aren't an Authorized Partner, Venmo is a great money to give away an item without getting money for it. Only accept payments on Venmo from people you know and trust.

Can You Get Ripped-Off on Venmo? Tips for Selling and Buying.

superheavyfunk likes this.