Vented to ported cabs. Will I lose my growl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smithy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm playing a 350w Hartke head through two 2 x 10 vented no name cabinets (I really don't know the brand, but they were fairly cheap).

When I'm playing, I get a nice overdrive (volume on somewhere between 1-2), but lack bottom end. I have the tube and solid state pre amps cranked up to 80% each. 1k is pushed up, other than that the eq is pretty flat. The high pass is on 75%, low pass on 90%.

I am looking to by a Hartke XL 4 x 10 ported cab, because I should get more bottom end.

My question is, will I then lose my growl? Apparently the Hartke XL cabs have a very clear sound. I wanna growl, and I wanna rock! I'm playing mostly smallish clubs, so I can't crank the sucker up too hard.

Should I perhaps jusat buy a 1 x 15 cabinet to go with the 4x10s to get me more bass?

2. smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh yeah...........I'd try it out in a music store, but to find a retailer that stocks the right gear is close to impossible where I live!
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Uh...aren't venting and ported the same thing?

Growl is primarily a function of the bass. Cabs would secondary and amps thirdary. (say that three times real fast.)

IF more bass is what you are looking for 15's will do the job quite well. And the right 15 will growl like a summabitch. (Bag End)

4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ported and vented enclosures refer to the same thing. There are a lot of names and terminologies used with box alignments, and I agree that it can get confusing.

All I can say is to try out all the different gear extensively before you buy. Making guesses on what to buy based upon information that is largely misunderstood won't get you closer to your sound. For example, whether a box is sealed or ported will not affect what I consider growl, which comes out in much higher frequencies than are generally affected by porting. You can follow the advice and observations of fellow TBers if you can't try out some equipment. This is generally useful input, and there's a lot of it on the board, but take all claims about speakers in even temperance (people tend to exaggerate the greatness of the gear they've only just acquired)

Also, 4x10 cabinets generally have some of the worst bass response because you generally get less box volume per speaker, and proper allocation of volume is essential to low bass response. However, there are notable exceptions to this, (and most any rule you'll read regarding speakers,) so do your homework. Withouth knowledge of this sort of thing, comparisons are often between apples and oranges for factors you haven't even become acquainted with yet.