Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

venting

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vegaas, Jan 24, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey all,
    My bandmates really piss me off sometimes. Here is the story.
    I get a phone call at work yesterday at about 4:30 p.m.. Its my drummer, he tells me another band called him, their opening band cancelled and they need someone tomorrow night. Great! He tells me our guitarist says he can make it, so can I. All we have to do is get ahold of our singer. This is were the problem starts.
    Our singer doesnt have a car or a phone. I pick him up on the way to practice because it is just slightly out of my way. He lives half way across town from me. As I am talking to our drummer, he is hinting to me that I should drive over to the singers house. I tell him that I am still at work, and right after I have to head over to practice with my other band. Now the drummer lives just slightly farther than I do from our singer. I ask him if he can do it, because A: he already home from work, and B: I have to be somewhere right after work.
    He reluctantly tells me ok.
    I call him around 7 that night from my others bands practice. He tells me he hasnt gone over there yet because he is busy fixing his vacuum cleaner! Again he is hinting that I should go over there after practice. What the hell? Why should I be the one responsible just because I pick up the singer for practice. Like I said, it is slightly out of my way on the way to practice, but I dont complain. I do it for the good of the band. But now its seems as if I am the one responsible for any type of communication with the singer.
    Anyway, I tell him that I will be at practice till about 10, then I have to go home and eat, then go to bed for work the next morning. Again, he reluctantly agrees to go over to the singers house.
    Well, its the next morning and I havent heard back from him. I guess we arent playing the show tonight because our drummer was to lazy to get off his ass and drive to the singers house.
    I know our singer should have at least a cell phone, and we always get on him about that, but; I was amazed that our drummer expected me to do something that he could have done.
    The moral of the story? No good deed ever goes unpunished. You do something to help people out, and they dont appreciate it, that just start to expect it.
    This is the first time I have had any issues with anyone in the band, but it has pissed me off enough that I think it is time for a band meeting to clear this stuff up. I was so angry this morning I actually was considering quiting the band.
    Well, thanks for letting me vent.

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Your drummer is a selfish, unconcerned prick. You did the right thing by sticking to your guns, even if it means no gig. People treat you the way you let them. Of course the drummer is going to try to blame it all on you when you discuss it, so talking about it probably isn't going to help at all.

Your singer should also be more easily accessible. There is no reason why he couldn't get a pre-paid cell phone and only buy minutes as he needs them. Even if he were out of minutes you could leave him a message and he could check them from any phone, anytime, for free!

If I were you I'd stop playing taxi. :)

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, sounds like it's time for a new singer, how can you be in a band and not have any way for anyone to contact you. That's odd, how can he have no car and no phone? If you're making money at gigs a prepaid cell phone sounds the way to go.

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    The singer used to have a cell phone, but couldnt afford it after a while. He is out of work, all his money goes to food and rent. As I said, we get on him about getting a phone. We all knew that something like this would eventually happen. It is one of the thing that will be brought up at our next practice, because this cant happen again.
    That being said, even though I am a little ticked off at our singer, I am seriously pissed at our drummer. The worst part is, if he would have told me during the first phone call that there was absolutly no way he could get over the singers house, I would have then went right after work. I would have been late for practice, but I could deal with that. But, he told he would go, and then didnt. Very angry.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Your drummer is a bonehead.

That being said, a practical solution might be to see if your singer can find someone who lives close to him who has a phone and is willing to take messages for him.

Then he would have to be responsible for following up regularly.

That might get you over the hump.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :D HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D Good one. ;)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, if it's the 1st time something like this happened, I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe your drummer was in a bad mood. Maybe his wife/mom/dad was busting his butt to try to get the vaccuum to work. Maybe he was just being a lazy ass & didn't wanna to go out of the house (I've been there. :))

If it keeps happening, you are in a second band, rite?;)

8. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    We have practice tonight, so we will be going over these issues.
    Number 1, our singer has to give us a way to communicate with him.
    Number 2, we need to decide everyones goals for the band. I want to make sure we are all on the same page.
    We will see what happens.
    BTW, the gig happened to be sponsered by a local radio station. They were giving away prizes, had drink specials, no cover charge. I heard that friday night as I was driving over to my fiances house. Man that got me pissed all over again. It would have been great exposure.

P.S. Tell me if I am being stubborn or not. Friday afternoon my drummer finally calls me. He couldnt get ahold of our singer. He said he went about 9:30 Thursday night and couldnt contact him (he didnt ring the doorbell because he said he didnt know there was one! Its right next to the door, our singer lives on the third floor of a three floor apt. building. There are three doorbells, all vertical, hmm, maybe its the top one? He said he threw a tennis ball at the window instead. Make your own dumb drummer joke here)
    Anyway he contacted the band that needed us to play and told them we couldnt make it, so he found another band to play. Then our drummer came up with this idea that we could try and get ahold of singer friday and show up at the club. He said the guy that set up the show said we could maybe go up and play 2 or 3 songs if we did that.
    I told our drummer no. My feelings are that we had our opportunity and we blew it. Time to move on and learn from it. My drummer wasnt too happy with me. Maybe I was just being stubborn because I was mad about the whole situation. What do you think?
    Vegaas

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    You did right. I'd be looking around if I were you. :cool: