Ventures Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassvi, Sep 3, 2010.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Can someone tell me the name of the bass player on these vintage clips of the Ventures? (Bob Bogle?)

I happened to rediscover this great band recently and find myself a bit shocked that I somehow overlooked how great a bass player he was- I really like his tone too, are they all playing through Fender Showman amps? I know the guitars are Mosrites. THX

2. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    Yep, that's Bob Bogle who unfortunately passed away in 2009.

Interestingly, Bob was The Ventures' lead guitarist until he and Nokie Edwards switched places in 1962. Bob played lead on their biggest hit, "Walk, Don't Run" (1960) while Nokie played bass.

Bob was also a great bassist. Listen to the bass line on "Pedal Pusher" and check out his chops.

3. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Thanks I appreciate it. I sure do like his playing on these live recordings, he really had a pretty distinctive style.

4. Novi

Novi

Sep 8, 2010
    Yes, The Ventures is one of my favorite groups. We all miss Bob Bogle. Have been imitating Bob's lead solo... Hope to learn some of his bass lines soon.

5. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    yeah, not to many places to find ventures tabs/sheet music, online or in the stores that i'm aware of. i do enjoy the surfer style of playing and they are a nice change of pace from artist similar like the beach boys and jan and dean who'd sing about cars, women, and enjoying the beach(not that there's anything wrong with that :) ) but instead of singing, they let their instruments paint you a picture.

6. Novi

Novi

Sep 8, 2010
    Try eBay..type in "Ventures tab" or "Japan tab". A lot sellers in Japan selling Ventures tab or band score (guitar/bass/drum) But they are not cheap plus overseas shipping..

The best Ventures tab and play along book which I have found so far is: (for guitar only, no bass tab)

http://www.amazon.com/Ventures-Guit...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284045158&sr=1-1

Hope this help.:)

7. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    There was an album the Ventures released in the early '60's called play guitar with the Ventures that had the tab for the lead part, as well as some Venture cuts. I learned their version of "Memphis" that way. The rest I figured out on my own but I do remember buying and playing that album a lot as a youth

8. Novi

Novi

Sep 8, 2010
    Yes, that was an old old LP which is very hard to find now. (40 years ago, maybe)

I had one of those long time ago, they only teach you the main parts but not the difficult bridge parts which I had problems. Now I figure them out by watching other band members play.

There was one called "Play Bass with The Ventures" too.

9. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    i'll have to look into ebay and check it out. i'd try to play by ear but my ears just aren't to that point. thanks for the info

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021