1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

venues going rock, the death jam bands and country?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kind of an interesting thing I've noticed in eastern NC. I'm seeing more and more venues starting to get away from jam bands, cover bands, and country bands. Which used to be pretty popular in the area. I don't know if it's an issue of over saturation of those types of bands or lack of people that actually come out to support certain styles. I think it's a mix. One venue we play regularly now in a popular college city which used to be a place known for jam bands, i went for a walk after our set and noticed within a two block radius that there was about 5 places with live music still going and they were all pretty much the same deal (acoustic country or 80s rock covers) . I'm thinking for that particular venue it's a situation of younger generations not being into jam bands as much and wanting to market themselves to a different crowd than the surrounding venues.

The disappearing country venues seems a little different. We just opened for Fozzy last night which was a huge show in what has been a live country venue for years that recently dropped "the opry house" from their name and next weekend we have a gig at yet another venue that's been a country venue for about the last 15 years. The one coming up seems like that venue is hosting the show as a feeler to see how it does. Is local level country music in decline? I know popular country artist like Tim McGraw and Taylor swift are selling more records and concert tickets than pretty much anyone but are local country bands dying out or something? I'm not the biggest country music fan but I do like some and can appreciate a lot of it. I grew up in a house with parents who love country music. From my view I'm guessing country may have gotten too mainstream? Finding the next big artist from shows like the voice and American idol instead bands of paying their dues as many of the old school country singers used to talk about. It may be a lack of support at shows. I know a lot of my family members and coworkers who primarily listen to country never go to local shows. I'm even wondering if the changes in laws is having an impact. For example it's now illegal to smoke indoors in NC and a lot of people are drinking less or carpooling and I know the country music fans I know don't come across as people who would want to ride with a bunch of other people to a show.

Just an observation. How are things going in your area? Are rock venues maybe going country in other areas?

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Venues with live music have been in decline for years. Places are trying to find things that work. If the venue cannot net more money after paying for the band, and dealing with the reduced revenue from fewer tables, they won't have bands.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Local live country has always been a tough sell, unless you are in the actual sticks or willing to go there. Even then it's become more a demand for southern rock than traditional country. The traditional country venues tend to be your AmVets, BPOE, etc, mostly private joints supported by middle aged couples looking to have a little drink and dance. The mainstream country joints are moving more toward the bro country, hair metal with a cowboy hat and a twang kind of thing with a DJ between sets so the does can get their swerve on while the bucks sit around scoping the swerving does. Metal has never been huge, but it enjoys enough support to keep at least one club open that offers metal themed shows. The big local favorite here is blues and blues based R&R with emerging indie pop a close second.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  4. Things hit rock bottom around here around 2010-2011. But have slowly been getting better. I think one of the biggest things that hurt the rock scene in North Carolina is actually Carolina rebellion. We have a big festival with like 30 national bands so they all play that instead of playing a bunch of seperate shows like they used to, but it's getting better.
    Curious what area you live in

buldog5151bass likes this.
  5. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    I'm in north central Alabama.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  6. Ok haven't played northern Alabama. Closest I've played to your area is Bayfest in Mobile, Alabama years back. Loved it down there. Local radio station there sponsored us and paid for hotel, van rental, and even gas. VIP all weekend which came with free food and drinks (including alcohol). And we were hanging out with bands like theory of deadman, and dark new day. Got to meet BB king there and it was his birthday if I remember right. The Time also played which even though it's not really my style it was an entertaining and memorable show. That's one thing I miss a lot. Local radio stations being more independent and financially stable to participate in live music. Here in NC most major stations have been bought up by cumulus broadcasting which has nickel and dimed them to death. And the smaller stations and internet/satellite radio don't really have the money to sponsor shows and bands. I do remember we got to Alabama a day early and went to check out the local scene. Downtown Mobile they barricade
    Off the streets in the "club district" and let people party in the streets. Was pretty cool. Every club had its own vibe and different style band playing.

7. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    We have our moments with local live music and some of it is really good.