Verdine White getting down

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kesslari, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    No question but the man can play.

@Dr. Cheese Thought of you...

Badwater, GregC, Reggiep and 7 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks!

Spidey2112, Wisebass and kesslari like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Some finger funk at its finest.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Badwater, JimmyM and kobass like this.
  5. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    I will refrain from posting several videos that apparently portrait Verdine as if he completely forgot how to play bass doing bass solos on the same level as Gene Simmons doing a typical Kiss concert bass solo, a bit less creepy but otherwise as flashy and as toe cringingly horible bad, just with the difference that Gene Simmons never really pretended to actually being able to play good bass on those solos.

Verdine might once have been a quite decent (decent in more than one sense of the word) bass player, which the above video in the post before this one suggests, but to me it seems like he put the bass on the shelf in favor of becoming a talent less clown dressing up in flashy clown costumes and doing clumsy cheesy dance moves on the stage.

It's kind of sad to see someone throw his talent away like that, but I am afraid that is exactly the case with Verdine.

Apparently more money in performing as a clown than a bass player.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Seems kind of judgmental to me.

kesslari, GregC and Clark Dark like this.
  7. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Ok, believe me but I actually didn't post in this thread to create a controversy or with the intention of ruining this thread with throwing mud against Verdine, but I just couldn't help leaving a comment because the story about how Verdine wasted his talent and made a mockery out of it in the name of making money actually makes me angry and a little sad, on a personal level as a musician as well as a human being.

The same reason why I refrained from posting any videos with examples, cause I know there are people who still love Verdine and what he is supposedly doing.

However I feel kind of forced to post at least one example now.

Watch this and honestly tell me what you think of his performance in it, and trust me it is one of countless videos where he makes a complete fool out of himself:

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Badwater likes this.
  8. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That "Happy Feelin'" bassline is one of my favorites.

9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    That "clown" is deep in the pocket. I wish all bass players could nail a groove down that tight while mugging for the crowd.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm sure Verdine really cares what you think. Maybe you'd rather he put on some cargo shorts and flip flops and stand in one spot? Personally, I thought it was pretty good. Verdine has never been a superstar Jaco-type player and never will be, but he kicks ass with EWF and that's all that's important to him and them.

kesslari, iammr2, grrg63 and 12 others like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I’m at a gig right now with my uniform of cargo shorts and flip-flops. I was listening to some old EW&F last week and I’m still amazed at Verdine’s taste, double stops, sound ect. IMHO He’s in the hall fame of our chosen instrument with all the respect that goes with it.

Clark Dark, T-MOST, JimK and 7 others like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He was nearly sixty when that video was recorded, dude is in great shape! He put on a great show. He is not John Pattitucci or Christian McBride. Forty-five years ago, EWF was a hungry young band bustin’ Their butts to make a mark in the industry. Now they are beloved legends of popular music. The great majority of their fans come to these guys belt out their greatest hits, and may go see them myself in St. Louis this August.

He seems to pretty much play the same solo at each show. The video of him trying out his Sadowsky Signature Bass really shows how Verdine thinks as a bassist. The groove is his thing, and he has done it so well, he is a legend among bassists.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Badwater, kesslari, LBS-bass and 2 others like this.
  13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    If You listen to old EW&F, Verdine's tone and playing on those albums could not be improved even if it was played by modern day monsters like Wooten, Pattitucci etc.;)

babaseen, kesslari, Reggiep and 4 others like this.
  14. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I have to say that I don't much like Verdine's antics on stage either. The thing is, most of the people who go to the shows are not listening with musician ears - they just want a show and it seems that a lot of people get off on the campiness of Verdine's solos and stage presence in general. I try to take it for what it is. Verdine already proved himself over countless albums. E,W&F was known back in the day for having pretty outrageous stage shows and Verdine's schtick is pretty much all that is left of the wild side of those 70s concerts. And I don't think his act has anything to do with money. Unless he is really bad at managing his finances Verdine is doubtless in very good shape money-wise. :D I saw E,W&F a couple of years ago and it was a great show which included some pleasantly surprising selections (including "Africano" and "Yearnin' Learnin'"). I'd definitely go and see them again.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can’t beat perfect.:bassist:

kesslari, Joshua and bass12 like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Verdine pretty much runs the show now so I doubt he's hurting :D

wmmj, Dr. Cheese and bass12 like this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I pretty much agree with you. I would like more playing and less dancing, but I respect Verdine White as giant of groove who is content to play his greatest hits. It would be great if he were still pushing himself, but if he was, he would have to do in another context, not an EWF concert.

Jhengsman and bass12 like this.
  18. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Wooten, Pattitucci etc play what they play perfectly. However, As great as those players are they would have RUINED those EWF songs by overplaying them for sure. When ur the bassist in a 9 piece band plus another 4 piece horn section it's difficult to find your "place". Verdine did that... and then some! Verdine will always have my respect and admiration.

grrg63, Reggiep, wmmj and 2 others like this.
  19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in the day ('70s), Wooten & his brothers played Top-40 R&B.
    I cannot specifically recall...but I would bet Wooten was playing EW&F tunes very well...at age 12.
    ;)

BTW, some of the early EW&F albums veered off (almost) into Free Jazz-ville.
    They're from Chicago & there is a big Free Jazz influence (Anthony Braxton, Air, AACM, Muhal Richard Abrams, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Fred Anderson, etc).

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I have to throw Louis Satterfield's name out there as an important part of the Verdine chain.

Reggiep, T-MOST, wmmj and 1 other person like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021