verdine white

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chris643, Jun 16, 2003.

1. chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    does anyone know what kind of bass Verdine White from EWF used?
    and what do you think of him btw?
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    he used to play a fender jazz, after that he went with yamaha. And now he play his Ibanez signature model.

He is on my top 5 favorite player of all time. He is just great.
  3. chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    i heard someone say they saw him live playin a spector... does that sound right or not?
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    he might have used Spector at one point. I never seen him use one, but I wouldn't be suprise at all.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've also seen him use a red Peavy before, but it was a 5. The last 2 times I saw him live, he had an Ibanez.
  6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've seen older photos of him with a Tele bass or an old precision. They look the same, and it's hard to tell. This might even be in the Louis Satterfield days.

Verdine's on the Sadowsky site as well. VW probably has one of everything at this stage of the game.
  7. chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    hmmm thanks....
    haha i guess that means there's no easy way to get a sound like the one he had... most people say that when you're lookin for a new bass you should look at basses of players you like....
    oh well, the search goes on!
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Verdine's baaadddddddddddddd!!!

...just wanted to add that the early EW&F albums were a bit different from the later POP-oriented(David Foster, cough-cough) stuff.
    Their debut is very Sly & The Family Stone-esque; the next couple or so albums do have examples of their Chicago Free Jazz/Latin roots(e.g. The Need Of Love & Head To The Sky).

Every bassist oughta know "That's The Way Of The World".
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, no too long ago, Ibanez put out 3 Signature basses-
    1)Verdine White-model
    2)Gary Willis-model
    3)...I'm drawing a blank.

Anyway, what he may use live & what he records with may be different. To me, he's a Jazz Bass man(be it Fender or Sadowsky).
  10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    3. Doug Wimbish Model. 2 types, one was a neck thru in a PJ configuration.:)
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The first bass he played was a telecaster bass. By the mid 70's he changed to a jazz. After that he used a bunch of stuff.
  12. chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    sounds like he didn't have one specific bass...

maybe the secret to his sound is in the hair:D
  13. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    EWF was just in the Tampa bay area recently and on this tour (or on this particular night)he was using a Sadowsky.I do have some early footage of him on video when he was playing a white Fender Jazz that had a tone to "die for.
  14. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Yes he is.