1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Verdine White's Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jnewmark, Nov 11, 2006.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I recently saw some concert footage of EW&F playing in LA with Chicago. I was trying to see what kind of bass Verdine was using, but the guy is continually in motion. It looked like an Ibanez Sr400, but I could not find one like it on their website. Also, he is not listed in the " artist" section as an Ibanez user.Has anyone seen this show, or know what kind of bass that is? Interesting show- both bands playing each other's hits as one band.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

He did have an Ibanez signature bass at one time. I don't think it sold well and it was discontinued.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Thanks for the reply. that does look like it. How was it different from the Sr400? Pickups look similiar, but one more tone control?

4. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    He's playing a Yamaha on that DVD.

I used to know which one but I can't remember right now...

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Verdine White Model VWB1

January 28, 1999 -- The concept of the VWB1 is to meld traditional construction and look, with modern active electronics. The hard-contoured solid alder Sound Gear body matched with a thick, round neck gives the bass a solid feel and a rich bass tone with excellent sustain. The neck is complemented with a gorgeous 24 fret ebony fingerboard with abalone dot inlays. The pearloid front pickguard and to buckle guard on the back provide protection to the finish during a raucous Earth Wind & Fire show. The active Ibanez AFR PJ pickup combination along with a custom designed three-band EQ provide a warm but focused tone that can only be described as funky. Simply pulling up the volume knob can activate a variable gain boost.
    Details

Hard contour body
    The hard contour gives the body a traditional look and a rock solid feel. The specially designed pearloid pickguard and belt-guard on the rear protect the lustrous cream finish

All Access Neck joint
    The All Access Neck joint tightly secures the neck to the body while allowing for easy access to the upper registers

Ibanez AFR PJ pickups
    This pickup combination allows for maximum tonal flexibility on the stage or in the studio

Active three-hand EQ / preamp
    A specially tuned midrange control allows for radical tone shaping. Pulling on the volume control kicks in a gain boost circuit for additional volume and punch. A trim pot inside the control cavity can adjust the amount of gain.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's a TRB 4 string with P/J p/u's. He's also played Yamaha BB's.

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Anyone who got links to reviews on Ibanez Verdine White Signature bass?

(think I read one in some Bassplayer mag. some years ago but I can't find that nr/issue)

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I have always thought that the Verdine White and Doug Wimbish models are two of the best looking basses Ibanez has ever made. I know the Doug Wimbish is a great player and sounds great. I never had the chance to play the Verdine Sig.:mad:av

9. If you're looking for one, there is a shop in Des Moines that has an original VW sig that still hasn't sold. Their website is www.promusicdm.com, and they're cool guys. I highly recommend them.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the link, man!:)

11. A big UP for this thread : does anyone knows exactly what bass did Verdine White use on the song "In The Stone" ? It sounds like the ultimate slap sound to my ears...

12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Any time EW&F is mentioned, that song immediately pops into my head. I was reading this thread humming it to myself when I saw your post. :D

13. In the stone came out in 79, and I'm nearly 100% sure that verdine was playing exclusively his white (lol) 1965 Fender jazz bass (i'm actually trying to piece together a bass to look, and hopefully sound, similar to his), but he seems to have retired that bass long ago.

But yea, i'm sure pretty much all the electric bass on those classic EWF albums (up until early-mid 80's) were his '65, and i also agree with you; his sound and marcus miller's are IMO the quintessential slap bass sounds :cool:

14. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    Last I saw him live (touring with Chicago) he was prancing with a Fender but I couldn't tell you what model...

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I owned one for a while. Very nice bass IMO.

16. the engine

the engine Guest

There is a shop near me (eastern NC) that still had one just a couple of months ago as well (original, new, never sold). If anyone is interested shoot me a message and I'll give you their info off the radar.

17. Saw him last week, and he was playing Yamahas.

18. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ZOMBIE THREAD!!!!!

thriller460.jpg ]

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You mean he was 'holding' a Yamaha! :bag:

20. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    That is SO wrong!!!