1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Verically aligned speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Quick question regarding vertically stacked speakers. It's my understanding that it is a great idea as long as everything lines up. However, do you get the same benefits when 1 of the 2 speakers is slanted back (like the Mesa boogie vertical stacked 2x12)? It's on a different plane.. So I was wondering if there were any cons to this?

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Not as good as vertical, but better than horizontal basically, it is all about width of radiating plane.

3. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

That's what I was expecting. Thanks!

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Tilting the top driver back so you can hear it has some value, though it would be much better to tilt the bottom driver. That keeps the acoustical centers of the drivers closer together, which is always a good idea, whereas tilting the top driver puts them further apart. And, unless you've got ears mounted on your calves, you can't hear the highs coming off the bottom driver. But a cab like that would 'look funny', so don't count on ever seeing one from a manufacturer.

5. I had a cab that had that configuration...it was a Sunn(from the 80's) with an 18" on bottom angled back and a 12" on top firing straight out...it was a beast of a cab(taller,deeper,wider and heavier than any 2x15) but, sounded pretty good..would fill any room\stage...kinda wish I still had it...although my back says NO

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey bfitz,

kinda curious, can you elaborate this further?

why would putting the drivers closer together be more beneficial?

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    The closer the cone centers, the smaller the potential path difference from the cones to any point in space. The smaller the path difference, the lesser the comb filtering.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    If that cab had been properly crossed-over from the 18 to the 12 there would have been no reason to tilt the 18, as it would not have been sourcing any directional mids.

+1.

9. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Making sure I understand this right... The comb filtering only occurs in the grossover region, and it's effects are limited/reduced by getting the acoustic centers closer? This is why we use really steep crossovers in 4 way foh systems, and vertically align stuff resulting in a line array at higher frequencies? Which was my understanding before, I'm just trying to make sure I understand it correctly.

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I remember seeing a Bassman 412 cab that had the speakers in a diamond layout, all 4 speakers tilted towards a center point (top tilted down, bottom tilted up, left tilted right and right tilted left). Never got a chance to hear it so no comment there.

11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    don't have the acoustic science cred to comment on the quality of this Fender "tilted" 4x12 cab design, but I can say from personal experience with one that it did not sound or work very well.

12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The speakers were all miles apart and the box was massive but still with no air inside, so it was all a bit fail. The worst part of the bad sound was the fact the box was made badly though, split seams and stuff that made serious bad noise rather than some compromised dispersion. Trace Elliot made a much more compact three speaker one (the top one pointing down was major fail with the fender, the up an outward ones are kind of good), one up, two facing to the sides, inward as it were, good idea, crap sales from looking weird, and impedance being odd.

13. You've extrapolated incorrectly.
    Comb filtering occurs at all frequencies, directional and subwoofer. Crossovers are designed to minimise phasing I believe, gets way over my head but someone will fill you in on a lazy Sunday.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
  15. I have one in storage, I believe the model number is 8028. I agree it does sound pretty good but is really a beast to move around; I seem to recall it weighs in at 148 lbs. Thankfully mine has the pop out casters which helped a lot back when I was using it.

16. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It only occurs when multiple sources are more than 1 wavelength apart center to center.

See above. That is one of the functions of a crossover, but you also don't get combing if you don't cross over at a high enough frequency where their acoustic centers can be more than a wavelength apart, so prevention of combing is accomplished both electrically and physically.
    Those have the upper drivers aimed upward. The better method is to have the lower drivers aimed upward.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Not familiar with that cab; I thought that was what he was talking about (like the Marshall 4x12 where the top two are slanted upward a bit).

...My bad! :atoz:

18. JimWasHere

JimWasHere

Sep 8, 2010
    Portland, OR
    This connects about 6 things that I've all recently learned.. Thanks :D

19. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    size.

:bag: :)

20. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    As already noted that infamous Fender was one of the worst bass cabs ever created. In addition to exceedingly poor construction the cab interior volume was too small for a decent low end, it was loaded with guitar drivers, and exactly who was that tilted down top driver supposed to be aimed at? But otherwise it was a dandy. :D

This is what the side view of a cab with the lower driver tilted back would look like:
    tiltcab.