1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vermont anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I just got asked to today to do 2 shows in Vermont, tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday.

Never been to Vermont before. Will have the ll day Saturday to sight see, or whatever. Are there any sights to see :)?

I'll be staying in Rutland, and will be playing The Wobbly Barn Steakhouse both nights.

Any suggestions are welcome. And if you're in the area and want to stop by and say hi, please do :).

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Right - playing for the Killington ski crowd.

Should be too early, but with whacky weather, keep an eye out for an operational (steam rolling out of the building) maple syrup operation. Lots of lovely mountain views around there if you are dressed for the weather - some from the car, but more if you get out a bit. Presumably you don't ski? I don't get up that way all that often anymore. 100 south could combine some scenic driving and some of the tourist traps that probably are operational in winter, such as the Vermont country store, if that sort of thing appeals. Irene left some covered bridges - Irene also tore some impressive scars but those will be harder to see with (some, not much) snow on.

If you want to drive down to Manchester, and are into historic homes, architecture, etc., theres always Hildene. Manchester also has a superabundance of annoying snotty outlet stores, and the Orvis "main store" - ...and a really good independent bookstore (Northshire.) I'm currently drawing a blank on much of anything to do or see in Rutland itself.

hrodbert696 and Joe Nerve like this.
  3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    An additional possibility when you are on your way home Sunday (if not in too much of a hurry) is that's it's a "free day" at the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown, MA - so one of the 8 or 10 days a year its founders are not spinning in their graves (it used to be free all the time, then management broke their will so it's $20 most of the time.)

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The only thing that sticks in my mind from one trip there in 1988 is staying a few weeks on a hippie commune, beautiful colored leaf foliage covering hill after hill, no billboards (i think they're illegal there), & touring the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream plant with lots of free samples drool

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Rte. 100 very scenic. Head up to Ben & Jerry's and Stowe village.
    Who are you playing with ?

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Playing with a new band (for me), Almost Easy. They've been easing me into their gig schedule, but the guy I'm replacing hut his back yesterday and they asked me last minute if I could do it. I woodshedded like a mofo last night, till 2am, got up early, went over stuff again and then hit the road. At the hotel now getting ready to head back over to the club.

Tomorrow I'll check more closely what people posted here. Been too busy all day to really check in.

Thanks guys.

7. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Killer! Go Joe :)

8. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Keep yer eyes peeled for guys sitting up on porches pickin on banjos.

9. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Pretty sure that's Arkansas ;)

Edit: correction, Georgia! Just looked it up :thumbsup:

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Don't get any of the syrup! That stuff is like Crack!

My wife brought some home from a conference a few years ago and my whole family got depressed when we ran out. I've never been but she says it's beautiful. Stop and smell the roses. Hey, post a pic or two in the totally amateur phone pics thread.

Travel safe man.

11. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I grew up in Western MA, and spent a lot of time in VT.

So see a show at Higher Ground.
    1214 Williston Rd, South Burlington, VT 05403

Burlington is a goodtown, and Higher Ground is a staple. The Wood Bros. will be there there 6th if you're still in town.

Also, listen to 102.7 WEQX
    Great radio station !

12. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Probably a cousin, cat.
    I was warning him about my brother Chris.

catcauphonic likes this.
  13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Leaked footage of Joe arriving at his hotel:

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Have a good gig. The Wobbly Barn is the place at Killington.

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    How did the Vermont gig go ?

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Gigs went great, thanks. Had a rough time keeping up with this thread as I didn't really have any time, and was wiped out after waking up early and driving home on Sunday.

We did two shows, a lot of new material for me... which kept me on my toes. I can't wait until I know all of it without having to think. It's refreshing playing to packed, young clubs again :). Most of my shows in the past few years have catered to an older crowd. It's interesting too, mixing the music up like they do. They play everything from RATM, to Justin Timberlake, to Hip Hop. 3 sets that they separate nicely, making it almost like 3 entirely different bands.

Oh yeah... didn't do any sight seeing. I could have gone skiing on Sat as free lift tix and skis were part of the deal, but not being a skier, I didn't want to risk any limbs or planting my face in any trees. I just kicked back during the day getting to know the guys, girls, and girlfriends in the band.

catcauphonic and electracoyote like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What, no pics?

18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I only took a couple of club pix, that aren't really worth anything :). I'm not much of a photo guy, and pretty much any time I was outside I had my phone on Waze (is that how you spell it?) and clamped to my dashboard.

19. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

University of Vermont graduate, class of 77. Loved Burlington, but the weather in Northern California is just a bit better. Go Cats!
    Now living near Berkeley, Go Bears!

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Thanks for sharing Joe.
    Killington is a great place to ski if you ever try it.

nixdad likes this.