Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vernacular question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Klimbim, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Hi,
    I have a vague idea of what this means but just would like to confirm - what does "hoe down" actually mean? Does it refer to a kind of party or dance in the context of country music? Was just listening to copland and started to wonder...
    thanks!

:)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, in a rap song it means,...er...um,...never mind. I think it's spelled differently then anyway.

Next!

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Beat me to the punch! :)

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yep, big party is it. Used to be a hick-rock band outta Nashvegas called "Jason and The Scorchers". They called their stuff "mow down at the hoe-down". I saw them a few times...very appropriate terminology.

5. Klimbim

Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    heh heh....
    thanks....

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

NashVegas??

I've lived in both places and see little or no similarities between the two cities.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Sorry Jason. Me neither... It's just cool Webb Wilder term I hi-jacked because it sounds cool. Anybody remember Webb Wilder and the Beatniks?

Then again, think about how many folks travel to those respective cities hoping to "hit it big" and go home tail-tucked and broke. Maybe that's the analogy.