Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Versatile 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iplaybass, Oct 23, 2000.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, ive been playing for over a year now, and my Peavey Milestone II is starting to cramp my style. Not only is neck nice and thick so you get hand cramps from playing too long, its not exactly a tone machine(i play with the tone control all the way treble the whole time). I need a bass with a low B for a some songs, which is another reason im upgrading. Ive looked at G&L 2500 (very impressive) Ken Smith(way out of my price range, but very impressive), a Fender Jazz 5(pretty good, but not quite what im looking for) and some others. I have never played a Carvin, but i have heard good things, so give me some feedback on that if you could. I play everything from blues and jazz to heavy metal and even some reggae. My price range is in the area of 600-1200 dollars. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

Basses are like women... the right one is out there, you just don't know where!

Well, enough philosophical BS, I can give you some feedback on the Carvin LB75. I've had mine for almost a year and a half. It has the active electronics and the J-style stacked humbuckers. All in all, I like it alot. It seems pretty versatile tone-wise and it doesn't seem to fatigue me after playing awhile. I play lots of different styles in the same set and am able to quickly get to the right sound in a hurry. The low B is not as meaty as I would like, but then I don't have the greatest amp right now to reproduce that part of the spectrum. If you're looking for lots of tone choices, I'd recommend the Carvin - you go from a mid-rangey Jaco J-bass bark, to a smooth Nathan East ballad tone, to a bright slap, to a mellower P-Bass sound (almost).

Well, there's my $0.03 worth. (Adjusted for inflation. Slightly higher in California. Your mileage may vary.)