1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Versatile bass around 350 euros?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wojt3q, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wojt3q

Wojt3q

Oct 30, 2015
    Hi! I'm actually a guitarist and looking for a bass guitar for my home studio. Since I'm not a bass player, I don't really want to buy hi-end bass, that's why I prefer sth rather inexpensive - I can spend around 350 euros.

I don't have much experience with bass (this will be my second one) and I still don't have any particular tonal preferences, that's why I would like to purchase something versatile with wide variety of tonal options. The bass is going to he used in almost everything - rock, funk, jazz, electronic music, solo bass stuff etc.

Oh, and considering the fact that I'm European, I would like to get something which is accessible in Europe - I'd like to try the bass before I get it. I think I prefer used ones - better quality to price ratio ;)

I did some research and I found few basses which are associated with word "versatile". Some of them are: Ibanez ATK200, Squier jazz basses, Vintage branded guitars, Cort gb74, Ibanez Btb, Ibanez SR, Yamaha Rbx... Some people mention StingRay copies, but some describe them as one trick pony.

Thank you for dropping in here!

2. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I highly recommend the Yamaha TRBX -300 series in that price range (the two on the left)

TBRX_group.

Vinny_G and LamarKafka like this.
  3. Wojt3q

Wojt3q

Oct 30, 2015
    Thank you for response. I like the red one!:)

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    For versatility I'd look toward a passive Jazz configuration, meaning two single coil pickups. The interaction between these pickups at various volume ratios creates a broad range of tones. IMO humbucker pickups and active electronics might sound great too, but may have a more baked-in sound.

I know Fender doesn't have the same market share in Europe as they do in the US, but believe you should be able to get a Fender (non-US made) used in your price range. Other brands using the same pickup configuration may be equally satisfactory and versatile.

Wojt3q and superheavydeathmetal like this.
  5. If you are looking for versatility, I would go with something that has two humbuckers with coil-splitting for each pickup. That way you can get the aggressive sound of single-coils, the nice smooth sound of humbuckers, and anything in between.

Wojt3q likes this.
  6. @Wojt3q

The forum Basschat has the largest used for sale section in Europe. The lower end Corts,Yamahas and Ibanez are in your price range as are Squier Affinitys.
    Squier VM are just over your budget but if you can stretch to 360 the Squier Dimension is an option.

I'm looking at prices on Thomann and there's their own brand Harley Benton that have improved a great deal from years back. TB has a Harley Benton owners
    club,I'm member #2 and my preferred model is the PB-50 which is a great bass but I wouldn't say it covers all styles. Another couple of companies are Retrovibe
    in the UK ( within your budget & the Evo model is a monster,Super-P another ), Revelation Guitars have traditional styles and the fitted Alan Entwistle pickups are
    first class.

I'd say have a look at Thomann,Retrovibe and Revelation,ask questions on Basschat we're all European there so have a better grasp of availability and pricing. I've
    only played the older Vintage basses V1004 & V1005,good basses but sadly discontinued.

Bassic.ch the German bass forum can be helpful too. There's a Dutch forum but the name escapes me just now. If I can think of any more I'll let you know and feel
    free to ask any questions I might know somebody who can help.

Wojt3q and superheavydeathmetal like this.
  7. This fella here is just within your budget with free delivery. Dave Konig that runs Retrovibe fitted a coil tap to mine,now that was good of him:D

Retrovibe Super-P Bass White

Wojt3q likes this.
  8. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    The problem with Basschat is that they are based in the UK and use the GBP. I see used basses going for the same number price out there as can be had out by me.

In other words a 750 GBP used bass would cost 1,020.30 Euro (1.00 GBP = 1.36 Euro). It is cheaper to buy a new bass with a warranty than to purchase used from the UK.

Wojt3q likes this.
  9. I second the Yamahas - I tried one several years ago but it was outside my budget at the time, I really wanted it though.

Otherwise you have Squier bringing up some good things in the price range, even a couple of signature models if that's your thing. The Jazz with two pickups naturally gives you more tonal versatility.

I settled on the Ibanez Jet King, purely because it was on sale at ⅔ off retail price and was nice to hold and play, and it has two soapbar pickups with independent volume controls, so I was able to blend the two to find the tone I wanted.

In my opinion, avoid the real cheap stuff. I tried Stagg basses before I picked up the Ibanez for the same cost, and whilst they felt ok and played ok, the sound was fizzly and tinny and not pleasing at all, reminded me of my ancient Encore strat that I had for my first guitar!

Wojt3q likes this.
  10. A valid point GNL2000 but not as costly as buying from the US can be. Even buying used we still get VAT on the item & the shipping,3% import duty and £8
    handling fee.

To be clear I was looking at prices in euros not pounds

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Wojt3q likes this.
  11. Wojt3q

Wojt3q

Oct 30, 2015
    Thank you for your interest and responses!

So far your propositions are:
    1. Yamaha TRBX300
    2. A Jazz Bass (I like the VM series, I've tried one already, it was 70's VM Jazz Bass, I believe, Classic Vibe fits my budget too). I'm also able to purchase MIM Fender Jazz Bass - like @DigitalMan suggested
    3. G&L L2000/L2500 - These are really hard to find in here. :(

Btw. anyone tried that Ibanez ATK200 or ATK300? Those are often reccomended as versatile bass. I'm still interested in Cort GB74 or GB4 custom :)

12. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    The Yamaha actually isn't a bad idea. The leftmost ones in that picture up top (including the red one you like) have a switch to pre-select some different voicings. Presets for playing with a pick, or slap, or fingers, etc.

I can't imagine a better thing for a guitarist adding some quick basslines but wanting a bit of versatility. There would be no need to fine-tune with a bunch of controls, or really get into your instrument like a full-time bass player would. It still has a bass and treble control available to dial back/up the boominess or the clickety-clack, but the presets just give you different EQ profiles that affect the mids predominately.

Otherwise a P-bass or Jazz bass (or a hybrid of both called a PJ) isn't a bad idea. It may sound limiting compared to a active bass setup like that yamaha, but if you can just pick something up and go it can be liberating in it's own way.

Wojt3q likes this.
  13. Sire M3....

Wojt3q likes this.
  14. Wojt3q

Wojt3q

Oct 30, 2015
    This may be interesting choice as well. I heard many good things about Sire guitars, though V7 looks much more interesting to me - alder version is around 380 euros, so fits my budget. Some people reccomended Jazz basses, and Sire's active preamp would add some tonal options to the guitar.

15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't think you can do better for bang-for-the-buck than the Sire M3s or V7s.

16. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    The M3 and V7 basses, kick ass. You can't go wrong for the money I bought both of them and I am a very happy camper.
    I own american fender and 2 Music Man basses,stingray SLO, and sterling.
    For the money these basses can hold there own against these high price basses.
    Don't get me wrong love my high end basses.
    But for the money SIRE RULES:thumbsup:.
    Ready to buy The M7 when it comes out.
    The sound of these basses are awesome. Highly recommend to any body.:hyper:
    Your always going to have those hater.:woot:
    Best bang for your buck.:bassist:

17. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    France
    Another vote for the Yamahas, I think they perfectly match your requirements. They are very well made, sound good, and the necks are excellent IMO.