Versatile bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yomchi247, Oct 20, 2004.

1. yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    I'm looking to spend in the ballpark of $2000 for a bass that will sound good for funk/reggae/rock/hip hop etc. styles

any suggestions?
  2. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Why not get three, Stingray, J & P

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Man, you don't need to even spend that kind of money. If you're looking for a four string than just go out and try every Mexi Fender Jazz that you can find untill you find a great one. If you want it super charged than throw some Lindy Fralin Jazz pickups in it and throw in an Aguilar OBP1 preamp as well. A Badass bridge woudn't hurt either. If you don't want to do it yourself than check out Velenti basses. I don't play any of these but I think that they'd work out for what you're saying you want.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Many basses are versatile, provided they are played by versatile chops.

5. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    +1 Cant get better advice than that, IMO :bassist:

For the budget you have, I would look at a Sadowsky Metro.

I also second the Jazz/Precision; you could prolly find a nice vintage one and add an outboard pre., and/or slap some new parts on it. ( if needed.) It may take a little longer to find one

I currently play a Lakland 55-01, but would love to own a nice vintage Jazz. :cool:
  6. If you like a jazz, Its hard to beat a Suhr vintage jazz!!!!!!

Between $2100 -$2500. Sounds even better than a 62 jazz IMO. Warm and fhatttt. Alder body , rosewood board, Shur active electronics.

If you want brighter, try a Sadowsky Metro as others suggested. Swamp ash and maple, PJ reverse (Ithink this comes in a metro?) Slap happy funkadelic :D

Of course theres plenty of good Fenders for much less, As well as Lakland skylines (some of these are killer basses!!!)

Try a bunch and find the tone you want. If there aren't any in your area it may worth it wait to travel to a shop that has a big selection to try.
  7. You need a Jazz, IMO.

Now you have the choice, from fender to sadowsky there are plenty of manufacturers. For 2 grands you can get a good one. Nino Brown's Valenti looks great,must sound great. I'm sure they are great basses.

Please someone give me $1369.99:D
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    B-B-B-B-BONGO! assuming you don't mind how it looks.
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fender Roscoe Beck artist series models have been one of the MOST versatile basses I've played.
  10. Oh yes I haven't tought about this one.
    A great bass
  11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Get Nino at Valenti Basses to build you one...
  12. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    for 2k you should get a used lakland 55-94 or 4-94, depending on if you play 5 or 4.

I think a lakland will cover pretty much any musical setting.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky is a no-brainer. Get a new Metro or used NYC

14. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

+1 :hyper:
  15. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Lakland and Sadowsky are pretty good choices...

Maybe if you up it a little you could get an F Bass. (used)
  16. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Versatility is not: the possibility to dial in whatever sound on your instrument.

Versatility is: the possibility to repeatedly apply whatever sound on your instrument, whenever you want it.

Thus and hence and all that, if you want different dials on your bass, make sure they use fixed steps, otherwise any repetition of settings will be just bad luck. And learn to rely a lot on your playing hands!
  17. id say either a jazz or a stingray...but if you want a extremely versatile bass, look for a seccond hand kubicki, they sell for fairly cheap 2nd hand and they're active and passive
  18. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +3 for the Lakland.

And I agree with the comment about having verstile chops, too! :D