1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Versatile Cabinet upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jomcc26, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Hey all, I am looking for suggestions on cabinets.
    I'm mostly a hobbyist, who will probably never play big shows, or play out all that often, but I'm looking to plan out my upgrades to a higher quality/last a good long time rig in the "moderate" price range.

I'm looking for versatility. As a hobbyist, I like the idea of being able to get different sounds as I learn and play different styles. I currently play a GK BL600 to the BLXII 4x10, but am looking to upgrade to maybe a better GK, Aguilar Tonehammer, or other similar head with nice modern sound at 300-500 watts. I am looking for cabs that would play nice with those tones, and also give me a nice ampeggish vibe with a VT Bass (next on the GAS list)

I'm thinking a pair of 2x10s would be nice, with appropriate wattage that I could run them either together or one at a time depending on the situation. Price wise, I'm thinking $600 or less each.

So far i'm looking at Avatar, and wondering if the Ampeg Portaflex cab or miniSVT cab meet the "quality/price" requirements.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Once again, just looking for help to narrow it down a bit!

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    genz benz isn't on the list. sorry i know you're trying to narrow the choices down, not increase, but you should consider their stuff, too.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Portaflex cabs have more low end, and will take more wattage than the 210av's, but the 210av's have a sound very reminiscent of the big 810e cab. And they're all built well with real plywood and solid bracing. But the 210av cabs are more medium duty cabs while the PF cabs will take a pretty good pounding. And the PF cabs have tweeters, which may or may not be important to you. I like them both...I use the 210av's more often, but I don't need to be too loud onstage and I like the low end response fine.

4. No worries Cooker- I'm looking for thoughts AND suggestions
    I have tried out a limited amount of stuff, so I'm also looking for things I havent thought of specifically yet...
    Do you think the any of the GB cabs would fit my bill?
    (high quality, low/med price, versatile sound)

Thats exactly the kind of info I'm looking for Jimmy, and I know youre the Ampeg master :) I have no experience with tweeters so I need to do some research and see if I need (or should avoid) them.
    So what else? Other brands/models I haven't thought of? Avatar vs. Ampeg?

5. Might have to see if the one place that has GB has the FCS 210T and try it out.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    there's a "SLT210T" on the guitar center used pages in las vegas for 299. its probably a typo and is actually a STL210T, the shuttle series. 299 is a pretty good price if it's orig and in good shape. the pic is fuzzy though. there's also a focus 112 for269 in NC and a neox 112 for 349 in PA. i know you can't try them out, but in case you can try one out locally, these are decent enough prices for those cabs.

7. cool man, cool- What do SWR cabs sound like? I havent played anything SWR since one time about 10 years ago, and none of the shops I've been to in town have them. Would the GoLight 2x10's be in my desired tonal ballpark?