1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Versatile, jack-of-all-trades bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zatan130, Dec 8, 2011.

1. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    I am searching for bass strings that probably don't exist; chameleonic strings that can be manipulated by the pickups...

On my acoustic-electric Ovation balladeer, a simple position switch from bridge to neck playing is a switch from bright tones to muddy thumping tones. This is using Ernie Ball Super Slinkies.

But on my bass, this switch between bridge and neck pickups doesn't do anything. The D'addario roundwound heavy gauges remain obnoxiously bright.

Is the versatile string I'm looking for simply Ernie Ball bass strings, or is my Gibson G3 just bright as hell?

What is the most versatile type of bass string?

2. There's no 'one answer' to this question. But I'll take a stab at it. Try medium gauge nickel rounds, such as Sunbeams. Still no love? My next step would be Thomastic Jazz Flats (Ti's). Although flatwound, they are known for having a bright, mid-present punch.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Blaim your bass rather then the strings. If your getting no significant tonal variation from various pup blends, you need better pups.

4. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    +1. Sunbeams can get pretty "thumpy" for rounds, and TI's get pretty "zingy" for flats. One of these two would probably be your best bet.

5. 64jazz

64jazz

Nov 29, 2011
    Louisville, KY USA
    My experience tends to mirror what darkstorm said. Aside from that, my favorite generic strings are Fender roundwound 7150M's. Not particularly good at anything, but will come through acceptably in most respects if I do my part. I've come to appreciate their mundane versatility. :smug:

6. In my experiences, a nickel roundwound will do just about "anything". Once they get broken in, roll back the tone on your P and thump away. Or, tone all the way up and a pick and you've got a great full, aggressive tone.

Works for me.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'd try GHS Pressure Wounds, a hybrid that's neither 100% a flat or a round. You're asking for a string whose tonality on your bass can change with the manipulation of the pickups and/or the tone pot and IMO this is a string that will do just that.

When I bought my Jazz Bass it had a set of very dark sounding flats on it. Pickup blend and especially the tone pot seemed to alter the sound very little. After discussing my style and what I was looking for with Jason from BassStringsOline I ordered a set of Pressure Wounds and it was incredible the difference they made on my bass.

I really thought there must have been something wrong with the tone pot when the flats were on there but with the PWounds I found it works fine. In fact the whole bass came alive with tonal variations. These are not really bright strings. If you play slap style you'll find others that will work better. If your a fingerstyle and/or pick player I doubt you'd find a more expressive string.

8. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    +1

GHS Pressurewounds are the most tonally versatile string I have ever played

9. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    Finally got the GHS Pressurewounds. Yes, they are fantastic. Thanks!

10. laylawguw

laylawguw

Apr 18, 2012
    Good thinking..[​IMG]

11. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Well that took a while, LOL. Glad you're happy with them. Just as Duckwater said, they are the most tonally versatile string I've ever played as well. Nice not to be stuck with just one sound.