Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

versatile neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KSDbass, May 23, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I just put P-bass pickups in my SX100B, and I love them, but the problem is, they have a little to much low end, and not quite enough high end. so, I need a versatile neck pickup with either not very much low end or more than normal high end. any ideas? thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think a neck pickup is what you're looking for. Neck pickups are butted up against the neck or close to it, and generally are bassier in tone and have less high end. I find P-bass pickups to be nice all-around pickups. I think you'd be looking for a bridge pickup instead (a j-bass pickup is a common addition, however would require much routing and the pickup and installation would cost more than your bass did...just a warning)

Frankly, might I ask, how is your amp set up?

3. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I've got my rumble 60 watt with the bass all the way down, low mid 1/4th, high mid even, and treble all the way up. and costing more than my bass doesn't really say very much :p and I should be able to route it out myself, as I am pretty handy. but thanks for the help, im going to get a j bass bridge pickup now.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Do as much research as you can before just going in and cutting up your bass. When it comes to any type of onboard electronics, you really have to do the research as it's not so easy to undo. Pickup routing being the most extreme example.

Make sure you're confident about how to do it. Can't just break out the ole hack saw. ;)

-Eric.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  6. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    whoa. that will help disturbingly. I've got the tools(drillpress with a router, and a leather vice) but now it's going to be alot easier. thanks for all the help.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Also, make sure it's positioned properly in respect to the bridge for the best tone possible. There's a lot mroe to sounding good than screwing things to your bass, it matters where y ou place them significantly.