1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Versatile overdrive pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FD3YES, Sep 20, 2018.

1. FD3YES

FD3YES

Sep 20, 2018
    US
    I'm looking for some good, versatile overdrive pedals with a blend knob that would work well for doom metal and other genres if I feel like playing something different. My budget is around $100 new.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    How heavy are you looking to get with an overdrive in the doom metal genre? I typically think of fuzz and distortion in that genre more than overdrive.

3. FD3YES

FD3YES

Sep 20, 2018
    US
    I already have fuzz, so just a bit of overdrive to add to that.

4. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I'd say amp break up sounds the best for DOOM unless you're playing a riff that you wanting to lay down a much more aggressive riff.

This is what I like and use.

NOT MY LISTING!!! Cheap too! Which is great!

Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive

5. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    The Joyo Ultimate Drive suits well on bass. No blend but no low end loss. Haven't try it myself but a bassist recommand it to me.
    EHX Bass Soul Food has a blend but is just above your budget. Samedi with the Boss OBD-3. Both are good.

6. FD3YES

FD3YES

Sep 20, 2018
    US
    I've heard good things about the Ultimate Drive and OBD-3, but I've also heard that they sound too distorted to be overdrive. Where I live, the Bass Soul Food is actually under my budget, so I'll think about that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  7. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
    Blend control bugs me a bit, I prefer to avoid it when possible. But it surely allows a fine control.
    You also have the EHX nano Hot Tubes which gives a nice growl if you keep the gain low because it rapidly became a distorsion.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're looking for a budget overdrive or distortion pedal, visit this website.

www.cheaperpedals.com

Mod7 likes this.
  9. Mod7

Mod7

Sep 17, 2018
    France
  10. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Hot Tubes is nice, I liked it.

Also Joyo Orange Juice! I’m able to get a really awesome Geezer Butler “Warning/Hand Of Doom” overdrive tone with it. Very warm and fuzzy, like an old sweater your gram knit for you that now reeks of weed and cigarettes.

Both sound great with my Green Russian.

If you’re looking for more of a saggy overdrive, the Joyo American Sound is very Fendery. The Joyo California Sound is nice and dark, more of a Mesa vibe, lots of low end. I currently own all four of these pedals and they’re all for sale except the OJ.

None of them have a blend control, but they’re all good with low frequencies so you shouldn’t need one - if you do for some other reason, I recommend buying a blend pedal. The Ampeg Scrambler I think has a blend, but I have found my SCR-DI ok, but not tubey, and not inexpensive like the Joyos.

Joyo Ultimate Drive to me sounds more like distortion, even at the lowest drive setting.

I’ve also owned the Catalinbread SFT, which I quickly sold, I didn’t get along with it, and I currently own the VT Bass DI, but neither of them are under $100.

I’m not a big fan of blend knobs - if you have a really saturated overdrive and blend it with clean, it just sounds like you have a a really saturated OD signal on top of a clean signal. But maybe I haven’t worked them properly.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  11. FD3YES

FD3YES

Sep 20, 2018
    US
    A lot of people recommend the Joyo pedals and they sound good in videos, but they're amp sims. Do you just use it like a normal overdrive? Where does it go in the effects chain?

12. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Honestly, wherever you like - but yes, if you think of the preamp in an amplifier, it overdrives when the input signal is hot. All OD pedals just recreate that - so with the American and California, you get simulated Fender/Mesa tube amp overdrive. You can put it at the end of your chain, or you can just use it like any other OD pedal and stick it wherever you get the sound that you like. OD is going to be most responsive to playing dynamics the closer it gets to your bass though. I don't really use a lot of effects at once, but I have my Green Russian fuzz before one of these, just because I think it sounds nicer that way, and with the two of them live between my bass and my amp, all is good.

13. $100 will not get you far in versatility, especially with a blend. The only OD that comes to mind is EHX Bass Soul Food or MXR Bass Overdrive. With a bit of a larger budget you could get a Damnation MBD-1 which ended all OD Gas for me.

14. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Just warning OP that MBD-1's price has gone up, and are $250, which is quite a bit over their budget. But agreed, saving and waiting can get you some good choices

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  15. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I own one. After directly comparing it to several made-for-bass solutions, I found that it couldn't hold a candle to any of them. Its one nice feature is that it's dirt cheap. I don't even think it's worth flipping on TB, what with shipping costs. Probably try and unload it at a garage sale.

16. an OCD based pedal is the way to go. Joyo, Demon or Old Dirty Bass. you could also just try an actual OCD.

rratajski likes this.
  17. FD3YES

FD3YES

Sep 20, 2018
    US
    Does anyone have anything to say about the Joyo Green Legend?

18. blip

blip Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    I use an Ultimate Drive, but think of it more as a distortion pedal. It's nasty, responsive, full-range, and sounds great in the mix. An LPF downstream will make it a bit more polite if you like your tone wide open.

I think of overdrive as more of a gradual growl than a snarling snap. I'm currently using the full sized TC Spark for OD. It works well on its own or after dirt if you want to add a little extra character to what's already working for you.

There seem to be no shortage of cheap options, though. Might be worth trying a few of them to see what flavors you like best.

19. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Might be worth looking into a blender so you can use any dirt with a blend.

The VoodooLabs Sparkledrive is the only dirt I've tried with a blend, it's a TS clone for guitar so it does lose some low end but the blend helps, and it can be modded for a lower range.

For 100$ the best option I've tried is the VHT V drive, no clean blend but it has a great 11 way rotary "depth" control that sets the low end response, loses little to no bass with the depth cranked IME.

20. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I recommend that you buy used. If you're testing for the right effect then chances are you're going to find the wrong one first, no matter how much homework you do. When you finally realize your pedal isn't the right one and you want to sell it you'll be much better off selling it for a $10-$25 loss rather than losing $40-$70 because you paid for a new pedal and have to list it for cheap to get it to sell.

If you absolutely need new pedals then you should take your instrument to a shop and try out their pedal selection with your gear and an Amp like or similar to your own. That's the only way you're going to know what your next pedal will sound like. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and money.