Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Versatile Pickup / EQ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David-Adler, Apr 3, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi everybody,

would be great if you cool guys would answer me another question!

For my next bass (a dpcustom) I´m looking for a good pickup and EQ Combination.

First, I would like to have a bass that cuts, I mean that really cuts, I want a bass that sounds right for Metal, hash, sharp, lots of lows but still clear defined highs.
    Growly Mids would be another cool thing.

But I want to use the bass in different projects, so it should sound warm and punchy enough for Rock or R´nB - maybe some Crossover and Jazz.

I thought about three pickup combos:

a) Sadowsky Singlecoils
    b) Sadowsky PJ Set (P at the Neck, J at the Bridge)
    c) 2 EMG 40DC

Another thing would be the preamp.

I thought I would go with the Sadowsky Onboard Preamp, after everything I´ve heard it just seams to sound great? What experiences have you made ? I thought about Aguilar, EMG or maybe a Haz-Lab Preamp?

So what do you think ?

Thank you a lot !

David

2. I ordered a P5 from Dave, and I think some time in the future I will add a Bartolini MM pickup just for the growl/cut thing you mentioned (and wire them with an either/or switch). I haven't seen any PMM setups, but what the heck, I like the P and I like the MM but I don't much care for the sound of two pickups at the same time, so it makes sense for me. I have an EZQ which will really cut, but they're discontinued. Tell ya what cuts, Dave can get you an Alembic Activator circuit, comes in PP, PJ, JJ, and two sizes of soapbars. Has a filter which I like better than either BT actives or a passive tone control. And it's got a boost hump right under the rolloff frequency, that's where you get your cut. But they cost.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a Warmoth bass w/EMG 40 J's & an Aguilar OBP-1 pre-amp, a Spector NS-2 w/EMG P/J & a Haz Lab, an NS-4 & NS-5 w/EMG DC's & a Haz Lab. They all sound great. For the sound I think your looking for I'd go with the 40 J's & the OBP-1 pre-amp. It is very ALIVE, cuts through the best outof the 4.

I've played a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 (his pre-amp & EMG 40j's) & his vintage 5 w/his pick up & pre amp. The last time I inquired about one, he would sell it only if he installed it & was going to charge me $250 for it, do I went w/the OBP-1 for $80. But I have read a thread that he will sell them now, so if he is not selling them for SOOOO MUCH $$$$, I'd really go with that.

Good luck!!!!

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Haven't I just seen this somewhere else.....

If you want versatility and magnetics, dual HBs is the way. In multi-choise wiring (series/parallel/singel, inphase/outofphase).
    Better yet, if complemented by a piezo bridge.

No advice from me on preamps, but with this setup and a good pre, you've got it all.