Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Versatile rig for home/recording?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaXu, Mar 28, 2005.

1. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    I'm currently waiting for a 5-string bass to arrive, it'll be my first bass. Now I just need an amp or something. Basically I will be playing at home and recording, no live work (I'm a guitarist really..), not now or in the future so I don't need tons of power or massive cabs. I will be playing a wide range of styles from jazz to funk to rock and possibly a little bit of metal as well.

My budget at the moment is around 500€ max. I'm thinking I should either get some cheap amp head (Behringer BX3000T is in my mind) and cab - 1x15 or 2x10, whichever is better with a 5-string. A combo would be fine as well. Basically what I need is something that:

-Sounds good (planning to play without overdrive mostly).
    -Has versatile controls (don't need multiple channels or a 30 band EQ or anything like that though).
    -Works well with a 5-string bass.
    -Costs under 500 euros.

Alternatively I'm open to something that I can plug into my computer and use through that..I'm thinking of the Yamaha Magic Stomp Bass (haven't seen it for sale in Europe yet though). Then again I figure that a proper amp+cab will sound better than DI/amp modeler/whatever through computer speakers (Altec Lansing ATP3, 2 flat panel speakers and a subwoofer). Any thoughts on that?

2. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    I'm a bit sceptic about the Bass PODXT, I haven't liked any of the Line6 guitar stuff I've tried (though the PODXT was definitely the best of 'em) which includes pretty much anything from early Flextones to Vetta and Variax stuff..all sounded worse than my Yamaha DG80 combo (modeling amp from the late '90s, currently using it as a cab for a tube amp).

Maybe I should've stated that recording is sort of a secondary function, jamming at home (along to backingtracks or whatever) with good tone being more important.

With that said, I'll try the Bass PODXT. Keep the suggestions comin'!

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd check out the Roland Cube 100, which has an XLR output and built in effects. It's a compact 1x12" combo that's designed with recording in mind. It has enough punch that you could probably use it for small gigs, and with the XLR output you can easily go direct too.

For exactly these reasons, I'm planning to order Roland's equivalent guitar combo, the Cube 60.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd try to dig up a Johnson J-Station. I've recorded with both it and the Pod and feel the J station is a much more "real" sounding peice of hardware, i.e. no one listens to the tracks I've done with the station and says "Hey, I have a POD too"....

You are partially right that a real amp will sound better than DI or modeling, but getting that takes a nice amp, nice mics, a nice room, lots of knowledge and lots of time for tweaking. There is way more to it than just pluging your bass in and sticking a mic somewhere. And DI still has its advantages, even on top level recordings you usually have a DI track blended with a Mic'd track for the final product.

For flexible recording in a small studio DI/modeling is your best bet.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

But ooooh so good sounding...

6. LaXu

LaXu

Feb 2, 2005
    Finland
    And out of my price range by a couple hundred euros. Unless I find one used of course. Then again I've never been that fond of having the amp controls in the back where they can't be easily seen and require you to reach over etc. etc.

Now I'm leaning towards the Behringer BX3000T and a 1x15 cab (should be better for 5-string than a 2x10 or is it?)..will be propably around 400€. Luckily the store that sells 'em also sells Ashdown so hopefully I can try both the BX and the MAG stuff the BX is copied from side by side..or compare with the ABMs..

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    People here have said they found a new one for under $300US. That and a direct box will get you pretty far down the road for recording (all the reasons it's better to record bass via DI come down to one: otherwise you must have a BIG and GOOD SOUNDING room).

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The B100R has an unbalenced DI.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I continue to be impressed by my SWR workingman's 10 combo. The tweeter is hissy, but when recording you can just switch it off, since mics usually get plenty of top end off of a 10" speaker. The WM12 is nice as well. Both have DIs.

Didn't that ampeg pictured above used to come in a 50w 1x12? Those were nice amps.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Looks like it was discontinued.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Theres always the used market ... ;)