Versatility of a Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matteran, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hi, I'm debating on whether or not I want a Big Muff, or something a little higher gain. Most of the clips I've heard sound really nice, but sometimes I want to go for a more buzzsaw sound. With higher gain settings is the Big Muff capable of this? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What you've heard out of a Big Muff is exactly what it does, nothing more, nothing less.
  3. Versatility and Big Muff shouldn't be used in the same sentence. It basically has one sound, and you can either have a trebly version of it, or a bassy version of it.

Also, it doesn't do's a fuzz pedal, what I think you're after is a distortion.
  4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'm not after the distortion. I mean, buzzy fuzz. Like, wolly mammoth-esque, but not the price. Or maybe there's a cheaper distortion pedal that buzzes out a bit with a bass signal. But the problem with that is that it still wouldn't be verstatile. I might just have to go for the Big Muff.

Out of the Big Muffs, is the black one, or the silver one better? (Silver being the USA one)
  5. The Silver NYC Muff is better built, but alot of bassists seem to prefer the sound of the Black and Green Russians (they generally have more bottom end).
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The new Russkies don't have a 9V jack and are slightly smaller (still a big pedal).
  7. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Well, they're both 79.99 at the local music place, so I'll just have to check out the sound for myself.
  8. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Normally the Russian muffs cost $55. (dont get ripped off)
    Id definately go with the American, I've A/B'd the two and the american is much more pleasing to hear and easier to use in a band situation.
  9. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    good point. So American it is, thanks guys.
  10. I don't exactly agree with that. You're suggesting that its more pleasing to hear and easier to use in a 'band situation', but explain that to this kid before he goes buying the American one because of it. What makes it easier to use? How does it sound better? Same controls, same company, same pedal essentially.
  11. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    well, versatulity may not be the word to describe the big muff, but its not a 1-trick-pony.

i think you can nail a at least a couple different sounds out of it.

if you try one out, be sure you try:
    1- sustain and tone in max (use vol to set volume)
    2-adjust tone and sustein for a less fuzzy sound
  12. basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    Def. have to agree with that. The big muff has the versatility of a 20lb. club. It beats you over the head and its damn good at it. The Russian Big Muffs are the harshest sounding distortion that I've heard out there. I have an old tank green Russki big muff, which you can find on e-bay (they're better sounding than the new ones) and it has a harsher square wave "buzz saw" type sound and gets a lot of bottom end. especially if you have the tone knob dialed at about 10 o'clock. If you want to get are vicious distortion try running through an overdrive petal before the Big Muff. So that's what I would recommend.
  13. By turning the sustain knob you can either nail a really fuzzy Muff sound,
    or a less fuzzy version of the exact same sound.

Turning the tone knob just makes it sound either trebly or bassy, but it always sounds pretty much the same.

The only way to get tonal versitility out of a Big Muff is to own several of them, 'cause they all sound different.