Versatone by Audio Guild 60s era Bass/Guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean Sweeney, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Sean Sweeney

Sean Sweeney

Mar 23, 2021
    I had a call about 2 years ago from from a fellow who I knew that ran a local concert venue who was in a panic because Jack Casady and company were playing as Hot Tuna that night on their 50th anniversary tour...

And his versatione bass amplifier had started making horrible noises during soundcheck. I wasn't aware of the amp or its history but ran down there with my repair kit and managed to get it taken care of just before showtime. This kind of made me the hero of the hour, but what I heard from him was that he was recommended this amplifier by Carol Kay from the wrecking crew, that played on many of The Beach Boys songs using this killer amplifier. It's kind of a gainy little thing that doesn't have a ton of volume but is loud enough for studio work.... The thing that she liked about it and that Jack Casady liked about it was that it gave a nice tuby character and the all purpose speakers really helped to translate bass frequencies up to higher order harmonics that would record well and also be heard equally as well through the smaller systems that were being used back then. Carol liked it because it didn't weigh a ton and she could play guitar or bass through it depending on the session and was her all purpose amplifier. Even though studio requirements have changed, people have started using their phones more now to listen to tracks, and often the bass in my recordings disappear when listened to in that mode. Does anyone else utilize some way to keep the bass audible in recordings for this purpose? Carol was also fond of Fender Super Reverb amps for a similar sound.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022