Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Versitile Residue...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 18, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Before i heard this song, I really had no idea why JT had so many strings. Now i know why.

It sounds very cool! Like your showing off but it still fits in! I love how it gets the Mexican Feel around 8 min and the heavy feel about 30 seconds later. How long did it take you and your band to write? What bass(es) did you use for it? and HOW MANY TECHNIQUES DO YOU USE?! What are some of the effects added in the background? The Xylophone adds a good feel into it aswell :D

Im amazed. If you havent downloaded it from JT's Sig, I suggest you do ASAP.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I DL'd it a while ago. every time I listen to it, I am still amazed.

*drool*

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

thanks man.

well...

i actually wrote this song about 12 years ago - i was in a cover band that played a lot of rush tunes, and i was getting sick of playing yyz, even though i really liked it, the unison guitar/bass thing, and the little solos, so i wrote this (all the bass and most of the guitar and drum parts). it's been a part of every band that i've been in since then, but this is the "definitive" version (actually the version you downloaded is the "definitive without guitar effects" version - i have the "definitive with finished guitar effects" version that i have to mp3-ize and replace the present one with :rolleyes: :D.

i play this bass...

[​IMG]

tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-c, where the caps are the strings that correspond to a regular 4 string.

as for some of the effects, wait to you hear the proper version :D. a lot of what sounds like synth is actually vg8-guitar. the second two solo breaks are synth drums and triggered samples. most of the synth sounds are from a kurzweil k2vx or a roland jv 1010.

as for styles, it's mainly just fingerpicking and slapping, although there's this cool little part right before the mexican sounding part that has doublestops + harmonic doublestops (fretting a notes and also holding harmonics with the same fingers on different strings.) a lot easier than it sounds.

i'll rip the new version and replace this one presently

thanks for checking it out and for your nice compliments. :)

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I've listened to this song over 100 times now,I've given up on keeping count....and it still inspires me. :D Now you see why JT got my vote in "Fav. TBer". -Luke

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Again, I say...

*drool*

Now I am really anticipating the new version... I can't wait. Keep us posted JT!!!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I still can't get over low F#... I have a hard time Incorperating a low B... but then again I have an awful 5-string that I need to make sound good (errr new pickups... get it set up... as;dlfkjasd;fkj). But I'm pretty sure if someone handed me a 7 String Bass, I would cry and hide in a corner until I died a horrible smelly death. But then again, I could look over at guitarists and say... "Pphhhht, so, why does yours only have six strings? Mine has seven so mine must be harder."

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    LMAO HAHA
    Hey JT, you can use that one ;) haha

So John, whats next on the board for lord only?

8. WOW!!!:eek:

That just left me speechless!

Must... have... new... version...!:D

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, a new version would be cool, since the guitar and drum tracks are not quite on par with the bass IMO.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  11. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Sounds good.:)

12. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Like Cambell's....only better.

13. So when is the CD due out? :D

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it looks like it's getting mixed the week of july 15-20, so hopefully the final "product" will be in hand sometime around the end of august.