1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vertical 2x12 cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, May 19, 2011.

1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Hi everyone !

I'm considering downsizing my rig and so I'm interested to run one (or two, depending the gig) 212 (8 ohms only).

I wanted it to be vertical to get its sound more precisly and have a good dispertion of the frequencies, Easier to move than a 4x10 and better as a stand alone than the 1x15.
    I can load 2 212 and my 4U rack in the trunk of my car without any help.

Is the vertical 2x12 a good stand alone cab ? (Specialy for the low-freq and high-freq, I usually cut the mids)

I've seen the TC Electronic RS 212 and the (futur) Ashdown VS-212-200, not many of this config out there. Could you please tell me if my way of thinking my futur rig is good or bad?
    Is there any other brands that provide vertical 2x12?

(Please note that I'm in Europe and schoerder/acme/Berggie/accugrove and this type of specifics brands are not dispatched unless you pay twice the market price for taxes/import/shipping...)

Thanks a Lot !!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, it can be a very good setup, as long as the cab is well-designed. Another US brand to look for is Genz Benz, and I think Germany's TecAmp makes a 2x12 also.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I recently switched from a Markbass 6x10 to a Genz Benz Neo 212 and have been loving every minute of it. It's lightweight, easy to transport (has built in casters), sounds really punchy and yet full, and it's loud enough for any gig that wouldn't already require PA support. As a standalone cab it's fantastic and definitely a cab worth looking at if you want to downsize.

4. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    shroeder suck! Tc rocks. if u like that low end sound tc's 2x12 kicks ass. dunno about high freq tho, i always use mine with tc's 2x10

5. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    recently, I changed my setup from an ampeg 410 to a TC electronic 212.
    It's awesome !! go for it ;-)

6. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    The Genz-Benz looks great, probably sounds great too but it's 4 ohms, I'm not fixed about what head I'll use if it's not 2 ohms runable the genz-benz won't fit.

Tecamp looks great too, available at 4 and 8 ohms!

7. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm confused.

An SVT like yours will run at 4 or 2ohm loads. Using a single 8ohm cab could potentially cause damage to the speakers. Now you can use two 8ohm cabs to reach a 4ohm load, but that will be the only "safe" way of using those cabs for extended periods of time.

You can use the GB cab no problem, and you can even add a second cab for a 2ohm load which will work just fine with your SVT.

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I also run a Mesa M2000 (4 or 8 ohms) but planning to buy an Ashdown Mi bass (4/8 ohms).
    I don't move the SVT too much because it's wayyy too heavy.

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Another vote for the Genz Benz NEOX-212T... phenomenal cab. Probably my favorite of all I've ever heard/played.

10. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Bergantino AE212 is the best cab I have ever played. Great single-cab solution. I sold all my other cabs when I got it. Easy to lift and it cuts through and has BOOTY to spare.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genz 212.
    Why is 4 ohm a problem? You are looking for one cab, right? Downsizing?
    Any gig where this isn't enough should have a PA anyway.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Should have a PA and has a PA capable of handling bass are two entirely different things. OP, don't buy into the "low ohms, squeeze every watt out of your amp" thing, it's garbage. Most cabs can't make use of the extra power anyway no matter what their specs say. Adding speakers, not watts, is the way to get loud. You're smart to go 8 and leave room for expansion. Only get the 4 if you're certain you'll only ever need one cab.

13. CpTCrunch

CpTCrunch

May 11, 2011
    Earth Mostly.
    The Genz 2x12 puts out some great sound and at amazing volume levels.

After playing though one at a store I went home and decided to build something similar.
    I found 2 eminence kappa pro 12's on ebay @ $45 each on ebay, still in the box ;)

The box below is tuned a little differently than the Genz.
    Mostly because the non-neo kappa's require more internal volume and don't go as high/low Hz wise as the neo delta's used in the Genz.

I grabbed all the hardware off ebay and picked up the wood locally. I've got about $250 in it + my time.
    Its wired @ 4 ohms and I give it 1400 watts. Overall I'm very very happy with it. 2x12's rock...

Attached Files:

• box3.
      box3.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
      Views:
  14. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    The Bag End 212 also, but it's 4ohms

15. KK Jale

KK Jale

Nov 4, 2010
  16. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I understand. My apologies :) Still, I think the GB is incredibly loud on its own. I'd definitely suggest checking it out because any gig it wouldn't be loud enough on would probably require PA support anyway.

17. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll probably run twp cabs, either one on top of the other, Genz-Benz sure get a lot of votes as much as TC, Tecamp and Bareface are too expensive, I've search the price of the GB and it costs ~850€ which is above my budget.

I d'like to buy used gear because there are great deals to do, I've a greater chance to find the TC RS212. The solution of Crunch appeals to me since I've some tools too.

18. CpTCrunch

CpTCrunch

May 11, 2011
    Earth Mostly.
    You may want to check out the fEARful cabs if you're interested in building.
    fEARful™

Its a pretty simple design to cut/assemble ect. And load of folks here love emm.