1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vertical Speaker Alignment Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowDownWays, Oct 4, 2009.

1. I'm considering having a 410 built vertically. Would it be better to have the speakers as close together as possible or to have more space between them?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    try it both ways and see which is better.

3. vertical 410 would just be a nightmare to schlepp. This whole vertical array thing is not a new idea. Just get two nice 210 cabs and turn them on their sides. Same thing.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1. After reading about this many times on TB I finally tried it with 2 Epi 210s and am in love with it. Easy to hear (even if I play with cutting some mids!) for all the band members, modular, easy to store and lug, and as loud as a conventional 410.

5. Maybe I should clarify. I'm interested in any sonic differences between having the speakers butting each other vs a given amount of space between them.

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...yes, understand, just not sure of the answer, although I doubt it would make much difference...as far as the schlepp, could go either way, one trip rather than two...I guess it would fit in your transportion?...less expensive to build a single cab as opposed to two...

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Put them frame to frame. And make two 2x10s, not one 4x10.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You'll want them as close as possible. Keep that center to center distance as short as possible.
    See:
    http://www.audioroundtable.com/misc/nflawp.pdf

But, I venture to say that 10" are going to have too far center to center to eliminate all combing in midrange where bass harmonics are.

One solution is to run a crossover. Run three 10" for low bass, and top 10" for mids. You could even consider a coax for the top for mids and highs.

Try it either way. You may find just full range vertical stack is good enough.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Get 2 2x10 cabinets and put them on speaker stands like these.

[​IMG]

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Frame to frame, (as close together as you can) is the correct answer. Making a pair of 210's instead of a single 410 is for portability. The rig would then fit in a car instead of needing a truck and you could get away with taking one cab instead of two for rehearsals, small gigs.

If there's any extra space in the cab, (there shouldn't have to be doing it this way) push the column of speakers to the top of the cab and leave any extra space at the bottom, (closer to ears).

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yes, I agree with the above, 2 210s is much better. I can say from experience. My 210s are very portable, and if the time comes that you dont want to do a vertical, you can put them atop each other horizontally.

They do sound different, IMO. I have tried.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is no combing on the horizontal axis. There is lobed response, which is not the same thing, and that disappears a few feet out from the cab.
    Make the cabs deeper or wider to eliminate extra space on the baffles.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I built mine as short as possible and still fit a pair of 10" speakers in it vertical. Width was built at rack width internally so it "looks right" with an amp stacked on top of it wrapped in a headcase of the same material, adjust depth to get the desired internal volume. If you're not using an amp of standard width, adjust cab dimensions accordingly, you'll still get plenty of space. If I didn't live in the stoneage I could show you a picture of it just to get a basic idea/starting point. I can email 'em, yay.

14. Excellent. Thank you guys.