1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vertical Stacked Speakers: the Poll!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agreatheight, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Yes, I already have one

56 vote(s)
    54.9%
  2. Yes, I would consider it

37 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. No, I would not consider it (please post why)

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Carrots

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. This post is not to debate the science of vertical, horizontal, and mixed alignment of speakers. It is simply to ask - are vertical speaker arrays right for you?

Poll attached!

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i'm interested to see the results...
    :smug:

3. I started it off with a "no" vote. My reason is simple - number of speakers / form factor. I have never been happy gigging out with 4 or less speakers. For the volume I like, I generally play an 810 (4 vert x 2), two 410s (2 vert x 2) or a 410 (2 vert x 2) + an 18. The tall nature of the vertical array is makes me nervous as it seems prone to falling over with such a small footprint, plus I find them very inconvenient as you can't put many heads on top, unless they are minis / micros.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I voted no because I think that I could get loud enough for any imaginable use with a single driver.

5. Interesting - even outdoor / cavernous stages?

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I hate seeing the phrase vertical array used, because it misleads people into Bose-like beliefs that some real liner array effects are transpiring, or that spacetime itself is being bent ; }

Not so. Until you get a lot of them stacked and spaced very close I prefer to think of them as simple vertical stacks. There are some adrvantages in dispersion on the x (across) axis, and it gets speakers up beyond the knees, so it's definitely a boon.

7. It's not??? I really AM this old! Damn! :rollno:

8. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Yes and Yes

But I am working on a bi-amp system for a 3015 or 3015lf and a mid/tweeter box, but for now I'm loving my vertical 2x10 setup. 19536_1190505728309_1398343555_3043.

[​IMG]

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    dude, i just played outdoors yesterday in front of about 6000-7000 people using a 25w ampeg b-15n and two 115 cabs. if you have good pa, you can use anything.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm making the same assumption as Jimmy, namely that above a certain volume level, the PA would take over. And it's been a while since I've played really loud music. But if I had to be self amplified at "stupid loud" levels, I would heed the experts and stack vertically rather than horizontally. Indeed, I'd consider this to be more important outdoors, due to the lack of reflecting surfaces to help the sound fill the room.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't do so these day but when I had two EV B-210 cabs I did stack them vertically. Now I just use a vertical 2-12 or vertical 2-8 cabinet.

12. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I like to stack my cabs. I can hear them in the absence of a good pa. Mesa 400+ w/4 GK Neo 112s.

Attached Files:

13. Are we talking front of the house or on stage?

I never try to carry the house with my rig, not even at small shows... I only try to get on stage volume for monitoring purposes. But on some big stages and outdoor stages, I am challenged to put out enough volume to reach everyone in the band. Are you saying the PA takes over and runs the bass through monitors / side fills?

14. You aren't worried about that 6x10 set up coming down?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    something caused my screen to go vertical, just like this thread.

anyway, i agree.

16. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    Nah that was old my stupid loud setup. I only used it once at a show at my schools auditorium. That was the only time I ever opened them up all the way, before sound check. It was then I realized I'd never ever need to be that loud so I took one and left it at my church, left the other in my car and one at home and brought it along if I needed the full 4x10 setup.

The white face cabs are the current go to setup but I often can get by with just a single 2x10.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have 2 setups. The main one is nEarful 15-6 on a stand under a Mesa Carbine and the 2nd a pair of Scout 12s under a Walkabout or Shuttle 3. I see no need for side by side boxes in my little world. I like the small footprint of both and can hear myself very well. I use both with or sans FOH.

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Stacked always Looks great ... but recently I have found, especially in large rooms with hardwood floors, that stacking my 2x10's horizontally on top of one another gives me pleanty of bass with no dead notes. Not so much if stacked vertically next to one another ... I cant fiqure it out but it sounds good.

19. I rarely have the need for two cabs any more with our FOH and IEM systems but when i do I stack by dual avatar 10" cabs vertically. when I use one I stack it on it's side as well.

20. try stacking them vertically on top of another and you'll get an even better sound. the reason you are "hearing" plenty of bass with no dead notes is because they are being coupled by sitting on top of another instead of just on the floor with no contact from weight. if you get all your speakers in a 4 speakers high by 1 speaker wide I think you'll like it