Vertical Stacking...but not on TOP of each other!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuckyCondlins, Jul 8, 2008.

1. so I read that thread about vertical stacking, and it does make sense.

BUT, heres the deal, Have you ever seen/heard of people taking 2 cabs that would not stack well together if they were vertical?

for instance, i just made a post about purchasing a 2x10 to go with my 15

I would not stack a 2x10 vertically on my 15, but if I put it on the Side of the 15 it may sound better than laying it horizontal on top of it?

Id like to hear some input on that. allthough, If i stacked my 210 on a 15..i could attach some type of very cool beer holder on the empty spot of the 15!

that could be interesting!!:bassist:

2. You're talking about putting the 210 on its side next to the 115?

I'm a bit lost...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You're missing the whole point of vertical stacking. The idea is that you eliminate comb filtering when you do it, and stacking a 210 vertically next to a 15 is still going to create comb filtering problems.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    My thinking is that 'if' the 210 was stacked vertically on the 115 the cones would at least then be aligned which would make it considerably better then in a triangle formation.

I'm not an expert in it though.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not an expert but you're right. I'm far from an expert in this stuff, but I noticed the difference immediately.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 to having them one atop the other.

But by having different types of drivers, you run into other problems, perhaps not as severe.

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I'm not sure, but if you are using a crossover between the cabs, you would get some benefit by creating a line array effect.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    According to Bill Fitzmaurice, you would get the benefit of crossing over the cabs ONLY if the cabs were designed to be crossed over, which the vast majority of bass cabs aren't.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. A 15 and 2x10 overlap at least 75% of their bandwidths. A well designed multi-way system has no overlap.

10. so are you saying a 15 and a 210 is not the best combination??

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    What a fifteen needs to complement it is a midrange driver, and tens aren't midrange drivers, they're woofers just as the fifteen is, just smaller. Midranges are eights, sixes, even fives.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021