1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vertical Stacking Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Myth_103, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

If there was a 4x10 with the 10's stacked vertically, would the say 6" midbass speaker need to be stacked as well or could it be off to one side with no negative effects? I know "negative" isn't the best word, but you get what I mean. I believe I've read elsewhere on here that the 6" wouldn't have to be stacked as well. Also in that HUGE Grateful Dead stage set, smaller drivers are stacked beside the bigger woofers.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's only drivers reproducing the same freqs that should be stacked vertically. So the mid driver could be placed elsewhere.

And bear in mind that the Grateful Dead system was built in the early 70's, when people chose to ignore a lot of what made sense in PA's, even though it was well known.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Dead system was by far the most technically astute system of that period. They built it themselves because the systems then available from commercial sources were, in a word, pitiful. It was 25 years ahead of it's time, though the acoustical engineering concepts behind it had been well known since the 1940s.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can definitely see where it had big advantages over previous systems. Wasn't perfect but it did use a lot of good concepts.

5. +1 It wasn't even really a PA at all in the traditional sense. It was really a HUGE backline system (Phil Lesh had, I believe, four stacks of twelve 15's each in skyscraper-like vertical stacks, one for each string of his bass in quad... crazy).

The mixing board, from what I understand, actually physically mixed the various separate backline systems (guitar, keyboard, bass, drums, vocals) to achieve a balanced tone out in the audience.

Amazing if a bit crazy! I believe some of the guys who designed that system went on to found Alembic, if memory serves.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep, they did. I just read the wiki page on it. Funny...I always thought Bob Heil designed it but it said Owsley Stanley did with help from the Dead's sound crew and Alembic guys. So much for the theory that LSD makes you brain dead ;)

7. It's funny to look pictures of that monster today. It kind of answers the question: 'What do you get when you combine some really smart guys, lot's of money, and acid'?:D

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    As I read it, Owsley said that LSD helped him actually see sound coming out of stereo speakers one day, giving him the idea for the WOS.

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...I'd been wondering about this myself...excellent info to know...thank you...

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thank Bill FM...he's the one who told me ;)

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...yes, thank you Mr. Fitzmaurice...;)