1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vertical Stacking

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rmeronemo, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Rmeronemo

Rmeronemo

Feb 3, 2013
    I'd like to hear comments about vertically stacking two 2x10 cabs. And I'd like recommendations for cabs. Currently considering the TC Electronics BC210 or 2x10 cabs from Avatar (I like the $349 price point, since I might be able to convince my wife).
    Backstory:
    After 30 years playing Les Pauls through a Marshall half stack, I just played my first show as a bass player in a cover band (Patsy Cline to Tom Petty). I used a Fender Jazz Bass, TC Electronic BH500 with a Mesa 4x10. I was pleased with the sound, but I couldn't hear the bass well enough, even though it was plenty loud onstage. Thanks.

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I can't recommend any specific cabs for you, but your idea is a sound one, particularly if you use cabinets, like those you mention, that have the speakers mounted on the cabinet axis, and not diagonally (as is often the case with 212s and occasionally with 210s). Having the drivers in a vertical line should give you nice dispersion and let you hear yourself a lot better on stage. The only downside of such a stack that I can see is one of stability if someone bumps into it. At least your head is just the right size to put on top of the short side of those cabinets without dangling over the edge on both sides! I see pictures of people's rigs with vertical tacks of skinny cabs with a full sized head on top like a T, and I just shudder...

3. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    A 2x10 atop what you already have would do the job. I'm a proponent of full stacks because they allow you to hear yourself.... and you are therefore able to turn down the overall volume.

4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Two Avatars would be solid. I have one and love it with a Markbass LMT. The plan was to buy a second if I liked the first one enough, but I honestly haven't run into the need for it yet. Really well balanced cab: tons of low end but still a lot of punch to sit in a mix.

EDIT: I do vertically stack a couple of Ampeg 210AV for certain gigs. Having speakers at ear-level while still getting some coupling with the stage at the bottom is a great thing.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Acme LowB2 x2. If you want tens with great tone, these are some of the best.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    [​IMG]

I'm a fan. Great way to spread the sound out on the stage, hear yourself, and even cover the room if you need to.

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I used a TC RH750 head and 2 X 210 TC cabs. It worked great for exactly what you want to do.

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    410genz_zps1b0665b1.

still waiting for a mfr to do this the right way.... mine ain't that pretty sounding, but....

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Many threads already in existence. The search function is your friend. :bassist:

10. Two 4x10s is even better.

11. What is that on top? a VHS player or something?:D

12. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I gig with a single 210, but it sits on a box to elevate it, and on its side so the drivers are vertically aligned. This really helps me hear it better, so I think your logic is sound (pun intended).

13. Kind of defeats the purpose of a vertical stack

14. riti

riti

Apr 14, 2012
    I use tc electronic rs212 and bc210. If I've got room I'll stack horizontally for better balance, but often have to stack vertically for the smaller footprint. The space saving when vertically stacking is a big plus in uk pubs. Stacking cabs with the top cab slightly further back will help you're monitoring whether horizontal or vertical due to the interaction of the sound waves from the two cabs.

15. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    To compensate for interacting sound waves from 2 different sources, you would need to know the frequency you're compensating for in order to calculate distance you need to move the cab backwards.

And even then, is it necessary and does it have an effect?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe so but I don't disagree with the guy ;) Love an 810 rig my own self.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

2 TC RS210 cabs stacked vertically sound amazing IMO.

Plus they look really cool!

18. Eh... that depends.

If you are NEVER going to surpass the capabilities of the two 210's then two 410's gives up dispersion. You are also carrying more than you need to, and increasing comb filtering.

19. very nice, bet your band has no issues hearing you onstage :cool:

just inherited a late 90s SWR Workingman's 4-10 and will be doing just that with the 10s in a lightweight cab later this year (found out they're OEM Emi Delta 10s :hyper:).

Ditching the tweet for a better one though......

20. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    No bassist in their right mind would not want an 8X10 and a 300 watt all tube amp. It makes me all a twitter just thinking about it! ;)