VERY bad news

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bobbybass85, Mar 5, 2006.

1. so i have a brand new fender jazz that i've put together, it has a transparent blue/teal finish and at our first show one of the stage hands dropped my chorus pedal on the body right above the pickgaurd leaving a nasty ding and breaking the finish of the guitar. this pic is of the guitar, but i don't have one of the ding (it's right where the finger smudges are in the pic), any suggestions on where and/or how to fix this? (i spent over $600 on this and it's just a month old)
  2. that sucks man, but i think that it gonna just have to be written up as wear and tear...unless you want to refinish the entire thing...i did the exact same thing to my spector...right above the wear mark from my thumb, i was mad at first, but i cover it when i play, and im not too worried about the pristineness of the bass, as long as it still sounds as good as it does
  3. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    They only dings and dents I'd worry about are ones that affect feel and playability. Your bass will still sound great, won't it?

I know from experience that it's maddening to get a big ding in a brand new bass, it really isn't a big deal.

Just think, the fad these days is to "relic" basses anyway, so you're on your way to being hip, yo. :ninja:
  4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Pee on a pine cone then burn it, and breath in the fumes. Then that ding won't seem as bad. (Or......don't smoke crack on Monday mornings)

Serisously, it sucks that is happened that soon, but if you really love that ax you'll get some more marks up there, and it might even seem more like youre bass knowing that all that mileage up there was done on your run! Don't sweat it man, just play the snot out of that thing.
  5. my friend bought a mohogany thinline tele reissue of fenders... second day he owned it it got a HUGE dent right next to the f-hole... he swears he doesnt know how it happened... and hes quite pissed about it..

these things happen... if it was a bass that wasnt transparent, i would say chip some more paint off it and make it look old... (or just do a bad job and look stupid like me)

like stickers?

i wouldnt on a bass like that... you might
  6. Get some clear nailpolish and put it over the dint, then it won't get much bigger if it really damaged the paint. Works for me :smug:
  7. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    dings add character, i tells someone where your bass has been.
  8. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    it's aight. one time a friend of mine picked up my bass for the first time and wacked a wall mounted light with it. i was uber pissed at first even though the mark was barely visible, but, ya know, stuff happens.
  9. Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Sucks about the ding but that color is frickin' sweet.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Sorry that happened...impressive that you have stage hands though.

This is one of the reasons I buy used gear and used cars...less to worry about.
  11. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You can buy lacquer repair kits. From the ones I have seen, they work well. Stewmac makes one, quite expensive though...
  12. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My thoughts exactly. Make that a fretless maple board with no inlays, add a neck pickup cover, and you'll have the fretless I plan to make.

Lookin' good!
  13. Yay.
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The first ding always hurts the most. The bright side is that the next ding won't hurt nearly as much....
  15. That sucks! I've managed to keep my basses in fairly good condition, no major dings or scratches yet. I feel for anyone who's had to suffer because of someone else's carelessness.
    Beautiful bass, by the way.
  16. trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    You have stage hands...really impressive, maybe you should get rid of that evil pedal and get a new one ;)