very bad week for a bassist

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Namaah, May 23, 2003.

1. Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    Wendsday my band and I played a Gig at Elbow Room (for those in the NYC area who know its a great place) and for some reason I just want at all there. I screwed up royally and it wasnt a great feeling. BUT on the bright side the people who usually come to see us said that theis was the best we sounded despite my screw ups. Made me feel a little better. UNTILL TODAY. I checked my email to see if the band and I were rehearsing to recieve a notice from the drummer that he's quitting in about a months time. That made me feel GREAT. =-( Now one of my only outlets for stress is going to be gone if and when the band breaks up out of lack of a drummer. Sorry to anyone who is reading this cause it sounds like im whining. I just needed to vent :(
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why is the drummer leaving? See if he can stick with it until you find a replacement.
  3. Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    This was his email and all it said...

Hey guys.

Since we're most likely not getting together this Friday, I'm gonna update you guys on some info.

I'm going to be leaving Midnight Matylda. I am offering, if everybody involved decides, that I can stay on through the month of June. Let me know as soon as possible on that.

Also, the drum set, I'm seriously considering on selling. If you guys are interested, let me know on that as well.

So as for reasons. We have none yet.
  4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try Craigslist too. Everyone and his dog is looking for a drummer there, but sometimes you find a non-freak who can play.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Read between the lines, man. Your sucky playing bummed him out SO much, he's selling his kit. That's the worst.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Like, totally.
  8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    LAMO!!!! You're evil!!!!!:smug:
  9. Sorry that things went to crap on ya, Namaah.:meh:

Everyone has had a bum performance or bum night in their history, so maybe you won't feel so alone in that respect. Same goes for losing a bandmember (or two). It's a drag.

Don't give up. Hope better times return soon.:bassist:
  10. Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    That prob was the case. I did screw up pretty bad. And most of the people there did some to see me (we bribed them with alcohol), and he was jealous. BUT the somomo biach should have said something. Even tho this was the first time i screwed up at a show, and he has at them all. Oh well. but damn How are we gonna sell all the cd's we ordered if we dont play shows. DAMNIT
  11. hey man i know how your feeling,

weve had two drummers quit in the past year at its left me feeling a little dumped, but we just carried on and found another one,

i suppose thats the main thing, just to struggle on

12. fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Drummers that get judge/mental over somebody else's bad night NEVER sell their kits. They just go find someone else to annoy.

If I am right: the best revenge is to live well. Replace your holier-than-thou drummer, then practice and rehearse your asses off. Someday, maybe he'll wish he'd stayed, and the rest of you may be glad he didn't.

If he really quits music, then your bad night is definitely not the reason. Either way, you can smile.