1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very bright fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Been thinking more lately about getting into a fretless 4 stringer. I have a T-40 FL but it sounds way too muddy to me no matter what I do. What would be a good one to check out that has a more edgy sound? I have an L2000 I never play with a very slightly warped neck and I've thought about doing a defret and epoxy job on it. I got it pretty cheap and I think it has about the right tone, but it's still a decent bass at least. I think it would be sort of a shame to modify it. I'd like to find something cheap to goof around with that's ready to go.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think a fretless Stingray with roundwounds would be one excellent choice.

3. Not many basses sound brighter than the Pedulla Buzz.

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Those sound like good ideas, especially the buzz.
    Neither one sounds like my idea of cheap though! Let's say $400.00 absolute maximum. Anything higher than that and the L2K gets it...

I just don't know if any of those SX's or low end Yamahas or whatever has any more top end than the T-40 I have already. Does OLP make their 'ray copy in a fretless? I haven't seen one yet.

Hmmm... This baby with the fretboard planed down and replaced with unlined ebony? Maybe too sweet to pass up, though I wasn't planning on starting a project.
    DSCN0537.

5. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    +1 for the Stingray. I have one, I love it! You can get it here in Europe for 800 EUR, so it is possible in the States I guess for 700-800 USD. I use halfround D'Addario, cause I want to save the wood. Are you really using roundwound on it? How long does it last then? From the factory it is coming with roundwound, it is true!

6. sx jazz?

7. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Maybe epoxy your T-40's fingerboard and use stainless steel roundwounds to give it more zing? It's the cheapest idea and its also a project.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe give Warmoth a call and order a new neck for the G&L.

9. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    That's probably gonna be the winner. It's wouldn't be too big of a project and might give the old girl a new lease on life! Some fresh Hi Beams on that epoxy should wake things right up too. Good idea!

10. another +1 for the fretless ray

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    That may be a good plan too, hadn't thought of that. I did check with G&L and a new neck was going to cost way more than I want to spend. It still plays ok, I just can't bring the action down real low the way it is now.

12. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Another 'Ray fan, heh. Not a bad suggestion but doesn't fit the budget at the moment. I guess most guys don't read through the whole post, do they?

13. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I am about to epoxy my fretless P soon. Pretty excited for a new project - hopefully I dont pass out in my apartment from all the fumes.

14. I usually just read the title and go from there :p

15. I'd also agree this would probably be the most cost effective and feasible solution. Although, isn't there a Squier with an ebanol fb that would sound really bright for cheap?

I'm actually in the process of getting an epoxied fretless built. Gonna have an ash body and bird's eye maple for the entire top and fingerboard. I fig'r that should be nice and bright when it's done.

16. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Spade, that should look cool - post pics when you get that.

17. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    I know this seems pretty obvious but have you tried different strings. I have had D'addario nickels and chromes and my bases. Then I tried TI jazz flats and they gave my Fretless L-2000 a nice bright tone while maintaining the super cut through that G&L's have. So... maybe try a set of strings famous for being bright before breaking the bank.
    Kevin W.

18. Will do. I think it's slated to be done sometime next spring by Cliff Bordwell. I liked the idea of the Pedulla, but wanted to really expand on a few things and change other things. The main thing was having a bird's eye maple fingerboard and a 35" scale length.

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The Squier VM fretless has an ebonol board and you can get some really bright tones out of it, some of them too bright for me, but at the same time, I'm glad you can soften things up a bit! A very wide base of tones available there!

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

It's pricey, but you could get a graphite neck with an ebanol board.

That would pretty much give you all the brightness you could want or need.

Alternatively, epoxy the board. A good epoxy job will save you the effort of having to replace the board with ebony.