Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very cheap 6 string bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, May 13, 2004.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Wanted! Very cheap 6 stringer ... Any recomendations??
    Cheaper = better for my tight budget .. :D

2. Moongarm

Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    I played a Peavy Grind sixer the other week at the local music store for about 45 mins or so and it sounded fairly good. The neck felt comfortable and smooth and the B string had good tension. List on it was 599 so I'm guessing street would be 400-450ish? Ebay might hold an even better bargain for one of these. I'm not terribly familar with six stringers so others might have better suggestions.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Once again I'm thinking Rondomusic.com and the brice 6 stringers.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    211 euros .... that's good for me .. thanks..

5. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I've seen a New Brice for under $300, Also seen Alverez for $200 new. Look at Ebay for some cheap deals.

6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Brice HXB406 Natural. My first sixer, and I am completely obsessed witht the thing. It sounds and plays great, and for $279 + shipping, you just can't beat it Check them all out at www.rondomusic.com

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
  8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Has anyone here played a Mr. Potato(e)?

I've heard a little about them, but I'm wondering if anyone actually has experience with them?

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    There was a thread about them ages ago. I'm interested in them also which is why I bought them up again :)

10. I´m sure the Brices are great, but unortunately the shipping costs, customs etc. could very well double the price. That is, if Rondo ships to Europe in the first place, let alone eBay... :meh:

However, one European alternative springs to my mind: www.mayones.com They are made in Poland, so perhaps you could make a trip to their factory?

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Washburn has a XL6 or X6 something like that. It's not a bad bass. I got mine used for $150.00 (US).

12. I second this.
    I have a Peavey Grind NTB 6 that gets a lot of my playing time. It's a great bass, and I got it for under $400.
    I did a review on here a while ago, search my posts or search for "Peavey Grind" if you need more info.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In Europe you may be able to find a Dean Edge bass. They are very nice and can be had for relatively low prices. :bassist:

14. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Mayones basses aren't really that cheap! The Mayones' cost like 1700£ with shipping etc...

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I am not sure if I would buy a bass for very cheap - with a sixer, there are more things you can go wrong with, for example higher tension -> the nick might warp, deform, crack or just feel uncomfortable; the body may have balance issues, or just be not rounded, therefore uncomfortable, or very heavy. Also, expect cheap components for the bridge; the tension might rip the bridge out, as well.

Do what I did - I saved up for over 9 months, and got a Corvette 6. Even if you dont buy a bass that expensive, buying quality gear is much more important than making it cheap.
    Just my $0.02