very cheap good basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stanger503, Jun 14, 2003.

1. hey.i was wonderin if anyone could tell me if there are any really good basses at $150 or less...its a long shot but i need a new bass and cant wait til i gots more $ could ya help me out here. thanks:hyper:
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    "Really good" is subjective; an Essex Jazz is probably the best bass you can get for that price, but it's nowhere near as good as, say a bass in the $1000 range.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  4. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    as well as essex, you should check our squires, or ibaezes(ibani?). Maybe look at used basses.
  5. Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    constantly scan ebay for any good bargains.
  6. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Hmmm...I guess you can buy 2 Foderas for 150$...wait, maybe 3 of them if you search for used one on E-Bay.;)
  7. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    See if you can find a Squier Bullet bass...they were the first Fenders made in Japan back in the early '80s - very nice basses!
  8. give a used Danelectro a shot...
  9. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    fender squier>169.00$, ibanez gsr200>209.00$,peavey milestone>179.00$ to name but a few NEW basses. if dont know anything about basses or guitars in general if you dont have acess to a knowledgable friend i would stay away from an on-line used bass site(e-bay in perticular),not that you could,nt find a great deal, its more like you dont know what to look for and what questions to ask about the bass to determine if its a good bass or a lemon.many music stores are getting into recycling used basses and you mite find a diamond in the ruff,BUT it goes back to the what to look for thingy. good luck:D
  10. I'd search ebay and see if you can find anything interesting. I think the Essex basses are going to be your best bet in that price range.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Essex is the way to go IMO.
  12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

119. for the bass and use the rest for a set up/ fret leveling... then you CAN rival 1000 basses.