1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very Compact Bass Synth Pedal???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

i've got the newer boss synth pedal, and was wondering if there's anything else in a similar form factor, if not smaller, for my ever shrinking pedalboard.

any recommendations?

2. No, I'm pretty certain the SYB-3 and SYB-5 are the smallest synth pedals you'll find.

However, that isn't to say that you couldn't find sounds you may be looking for in pedals without the name SYNTH on them. The sounds won't be cute and cheesy like the SYB is, but perhaps a synthy, fast-release/super slow sweep filter such as the EBS BassIQ might suffice?

Just a thought.

3. Digitech BSW and the Ibanez SB-7

4. The Boss is the only true synth in that size. The BSW and SB7 are similar size, but they are not true synth pedals (they are octave + fuzz + filter, to simulate a synth sound). They may do just fine for what you want, it depends how you're going to use it. So me, the BSW and SB7 sounds are more funky than synthy.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dang,

i do want those sounds. sometimes, i find the boss to be a touch cheesy, and not necessarily funky.

6. Behringer BSY600

7. I just picked the Ibanez synth pedal...Kinda silly, but for 25 bucks I couldn't say no.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Subdecay Noisebox
    MI Audio Pollyanna
    Sinister Analog Soul Provider

Might not be the synth sounds you want though, more analog 70's synth sounding

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    What? A synth thread and nobody is crowing about the Octavius Squeezer?

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Too big, can't you read?

11. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I recently got the Digitech Bass Synth Wah and I am pretty happy with it. The same size roughly as the boss pedal and alot more versatile than I had thought. I was worried that it was going to be too "Wah Wah" (if that makes sense), and you can do that if you want, but I can also get some straight ahead synth tones too.

The two drawbacks are:

1. when you switch it on the volume increases...ALOT. I put a limiter/compressor behind it to help keep that in check.

2. its not programmable. For me right now its not too much of a problem because the songs I am going to use it on are spread throughout 3 sets, so its easy enough to tweak during our breaks, but it would be a pain if those songs were near each other in the setlist.

All in all, for the $45 (used) its pretty cool.

12. The volume doesn't always increase with the BSW. I recently bought a Boss LS-2 to beef up the synth tone as I had major volume drop issues compared with my normal sound (running through a SansAmp PBDR). Problem is my gain has increased a lot so I have to compensate by running the preamp on my LMII a lot lower than usual to avoid peaking.

13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Check out the Copilot Orbit, it sounds pretty synthy too.

14. Did Guyatone ever make a synth pedal?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nono,

these are great!

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i have it, and it pisses me off... i use it as a psuedo phaser w/ slow big sweeps, but the lower sweeps are just tooo flippin' huge.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    DAM,

wasnt looking for anything remotely associated w/ its sounds, but holy crap, i want it...

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Copilot Orbit is tiny. It's a good little pedal
    Octavius Squeezer is surprisingly small. WAY smaller than a EHX BMS.