Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very complex wiring... I need an expert opinion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kegbarnacle, Feb 24, 2005.

1. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I don't know if this is the single most complicated passive wiring ever, but it's close. I'm doing major surgery on an old import bass. All the wood working parts are 90% done, now it's time to wire the pickups.

The pickups are Bartolini Ric replacements - 6RT and 6RC. I'm attempting to have a volume pot and tone pot for each. I also have a DPTT switch to toggle the dual coil bridge pickup from series humbucking mode, single coil mode, and parallel humbucking mode. Then I have a DPDT switch to toggle the neck and bridge pickups from series to parallel. Then I have another DPDT switch to toggle between mono and stereo outputs so I can really go nuts with my bi-amping.

I came up with this wiring diagram. Some of it comes from the Bartolini website, some from other diagrams I've found on TB, some is really just an educated guess. All of it is pretty cobbled together - I would really appreciate it if a wiring expert could take a look and tell me if this will work.

Thanks!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Looks like it would work to me. I'm not an expert, but I'm getting pretty good at this kind of thing.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Compared to Bartolini's diagrams, you've got the White and Red wires switched on the DPTT connections.

I don't remember what is what though, so I'm not sure the effect that would have.

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    We must be looking at different diagrams on the Bartolini site. I'm looking at the second one from the bottom of this .pdf:

http://www.bartolini.net/instructio...hing/Switch_Wiring_DualCoil_Pickups4_cond.pdf

I'm fairly sure it will work - if not the worst that happens is that I have to re-wire it.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Ah - the one I was looking at is an HTML page.

I think the PDF is correct, since red is the 'hot' for one of the coils.