Very concerned... Question about PayPal...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Knavery, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello everyone,
    As some of you know, I had purchased this on ebay the other day:

The guy has a rating of 94, but has never used PayPal before. He had used something called Now I tried using it, but I could not send over a thousand dollars.

He then said to try and use PayPal. So I logged in, put in the item number, how much it was, and the email of who it was to go to. Then within 2 days, the money was taken out of my account. I had emailed the guy, and he said he had never used PayPal like this before, and that he had not recieved any funds in his account as of yet.

I have been trying to ask him if he had even set up a bank account to transfer the funds to, but I have not gotten a solid yes or no answer.

So my question is this--Can my funds be taken out of my account if the other person does NOT have a bank account set up through PayPal? What kind of security is in place on PayPal that prevents fraud in case that is what's happening here?

I'm sure the guy is honest, but the 1500 dollars has left my account and seems to be sitting in limbo somewhere, and I am uncomfortable about it. Can someone explain to me what is happening? Thanks.
  2. Go to the source! Don't mess around waiting for answers here; too much time will go by for that amount of money! Hope it all works out.

3. Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    tell him to check the balance of his paypal account, you cant deposit the money into your bank account unless your are a verified user, then you can transfer, if youre not then you cna only use the transfered funds to buy stuff, it stays in a separate paypal account
  4. Paypal can tell who's account you sent it to, should be able to verify whether its the guy you think it is. Hopefully the money's still there and can be retrieved if you made a mistake with the correct email address, or he purposely gave you a different one so he could claim the money never got to him. Still, somewhere, there's an account, registered to some person.

5. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the responses. I called PayPal, and they stated that the money is in the guys account, and that he should have sent out the eBay item. I haven't recieved an email from him in a couple of days, and am a bit concerned at this point. Whether he has a bank account set up or not is irrelevent and not my problem. The lady that I talked to said that it is his responsibility to set it up, and that if he chooses, can request a check from them. At any rate, the money was taken from my account and placed in his.