Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

~*~Very Confused~*~

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pmutch, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I was told that my bass was a Standard Long Scale with .034 strings, but yet I can't find any 34 strings. I found some 35's. Someone HHHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Huh? Usually most stores carry long-scale strings (34") only [sic].
    You can always order online somewhere (cheaper too) or as a last resort buy those 35" and but them to size. I even cut my long-scales in order to avoid too many windings on the tuners.

[EDIT]
    If I read your post correctly you're mixing up measures.
    34" [thirty-four inches] is the string length.
    .034" [oh-point-oh-thirty-four inches] would be a gauge measurement, but you're right, you won't get those, only .035, .040, .050 etc.

The first is the length, the second is the thickness.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think you are confusing string length with string gauge. You will find more 34" string sets than any other length. In fact, unless the package says otherwise, the strings will _usually_ be 34". A ".035 string" is a high C string used for six string basses. That's referring to the gauge of the string, not the length.

If you are looking to buy strings online, try www.juststrings.com

JMX- You edited as I posted. :D

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My G-string is a .035 [my set is .035, .055, .075, .095] :oops:

Ok, call me a pussy, but I hate thicker strings :p

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dang, that is light. I thought .040 was light for a G. :D

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, my excuse is that "Vic's using a .035 too" :D

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Vic uses .040-.100 doesn't he? Michael Manring though...DAAAAMMNNNN those are thin strings they must be .030-.080 or something...smallest I've ever seen...there ain't nothing wrong with light gauge, only if you spend all your time with really light guage strings its not as backwords compatible as if you spend your tiem with heavy gauge strings and then downgrade.
    I think I have .040-.100 on my bass right now...I forget it might be .045-.100

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to use Superwound .030, .050, .070, .090's. The same set that Geddy Lee used to use. I think that Mark King used to use them, too.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dang, he used .40-.095 IIRC.

10. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I'm gona go buy me some new strings. Some Standard Long Scale strings that are 34 inches long. but i was shoppin around and noticed that some packs say "Very Light", "Light", "Medium", "Heavy" etc. Does that matter what kind I get?

11. Probably 80% of bass players use .045 to .105, which is considered the "standard". You will have to check the packets, as different manufacturers have different names for the guages. Some will call 45-105 "medium", some will call it light-medium. If you want that guage, ask for it as "45 to 105". The store assistant will know what you're talking about. Other popular guages are "40 to 100", "50 to 110". I manage a store, and I can tell you that 95% of bass guitars come from the factory with 45 to 105 strings fitted.