Very cool thing happening in my family

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I tried out and am now in a regularly gigging band. This will take my bass playing to a new level.

About the same time, my father, two states away, now 80 years' old, joins up with a group of his contemporiaries and is playing violin in an old standards ensemble that goes around and does gigs at retirement homes. He's getting his chops back, and my Mom says he is starting to play like he did 55 years ago. To me this is just the coolest and most inspirational thing in the world.

My 15 year old son, a drummer off and on since he was 8, is buried away in the garage this summer playing drums all day, spending hours at it at a time like you are supposed to at that age. Listens to everything from Green Day to Doris Day and loves it all.

Music. The biggest blessing in our lives. Three generations emailing back and forth and talking about gigs and getting along with bandmates and sharing stories.

Just wanted to post and share my gratitude for it.
  2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    just don't become one of those families that travels year round in an RV playing folk music at nursing homes, community centers, and county fairs. :eyebrow:
  3. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    That's a cool story. Thanks for shearing that with us.
  4. You like the Partridge Family? :D
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why not?
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Come on everybody sing along!

" Traveling along Is it wrong that we're singing?
    Somebody slap me!"

or something like that.
  7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I think the worst it could get would be something like "Let me Call you sweetheart" at a family reunion. "Devil went down to Georgia" could be cool