1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very elevated plucking hand problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by StuntBacon, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. StuntBacon

StuntBacon

Feb 4, 2010
    This is how my right hand plays at the moment. Sorry for the slightly rubbish example; I needed to hold the camera with my left hand to get the best angle. This playing style is to date the only comfortable plucking position I've managed to find. If I move my palm closer to the bass, like seemingly most players do, I can't seem to find the sweet spot on my fingers that rolls off as nicely and cleanly, which results in both drastically slowed playing and also a reduction in tone quality. This renders the Janek Gwizdala floating thumb technique impossible, meaning I have to mute with my left hand. It's not the end of the world, and I don't consider myself a bad player. But I feel like I must be missing something, as quite a few players can put the palm down with better results. Thoughts?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Provided it's safe.. i.e. your wrist is not severely bent, and it works for you, I would not worry too much about it.

MalcolmAmos likes this.
  3. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    I don't put my palm down on the bass and I use Todd Johnson style floating thumb. I'm putting thumb and the part where my wrist meets my hand on the strings.

4. StuntBacon

StuntBacon

Feb 4, 2010
    Could you show me a picture of how you're achieving that?

5. I ditto what fearceol had to say. If it works for you, it works for you. We are all different so one way does not fit everyone.

Muting - is a concern and does need to be addressed. I use flatwound strings and foam rubber at the bridge. This helps with muting, and gives a sound I like. Then with the left hand......

....I fret with the pad of my finger and this then leaves the rest of the finger as a deadening agent on the unused strings. Pads on the left hand, then flats and foam seem to do whatever muting I need.

My point; we all have to work out what will work for us.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  6. StuntBacon

StuntBacon

Feb 4, 2010
    It might feel like it's working for me now, and it does for 95% of material, but I'm a competitive guy, and am always on the lookout for ways to be even better. The wrist doesn't hurt, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not doing myself damage either.

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    That's true, but if the wrist is straight it will minimise any potential injury problems.