Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VERY FRUSTRATED

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Sep 26, 2002.

1. forgive me if this doesnt belong in this forum. but im gonna be heading into the studio soon..ive been in this studio many times...and everytime my bass sounds less than stellar. every other aspect of the recording is amazing..but my bass. i use a jazz bass..and its like indie rock...kind of emo-ish too..i need a biting growling bass...but instead i get a flat clickity clackity bass sound...any techniques as far as miking or running through pre-amps or what not?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sounds like the only technique(s) that would prove truly useful is the one(s) in your hands. It is possible to run a Jazz straight into the board (preferably after going through a DI box to lower the impedance) and get a stellar bass sound, perfect for your genre. Compression and perhaps some gentle EQ'ing to avoid unnecessary rumble or "collisions" with other instruments in the frequency spectrum, both of which would be done by the mixing engineer, should be all that's needed.

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Try a SansAmp Bass DI or Acoustic DI.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Talk to your soundman. Explain to him or her, what are you looking for in your tone, and they will most likely be able to help you find it.

Remember that this is their job!

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    J-Retro (on-board- or external stomp box) will get you the growl. Sans Amp DI might be needed for impedance matching. These two work for me.

6. How do you usually set your volume and tone controls? Does your J have an onboard preamp?

It's possible that the engineer there simply has no clue how to record a Jazz Bass, so renting a Precision or a Music Man--or something completely different like a Spector--might solve your problems.

7. well, we went to this studio and no matter what bass I used, the "engineer" couldn't get tone worth a crap at all.

Early 70's P bass, Jazz bass, Pedulla, all he did was want me to crank all the bottom out of my bass and then it sounded like crap even more.

I would talk to the engineer and work on getting a tone you were happy with before you started, as it was said, you are paying him to do that stuff