1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

very important info for slappers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by gjooro, Jun 12, 2007.

1. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Slappers have fat right thumb.. (or if you're lefty left).
    The bone structure changes from receiving constant hits and it becomes fatter, bigger and the nerves go off so the feel of pain goes.. Just like kickboxer's legs..

2. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland

3. 30hrz

30hrz

May 13, 2007
    Toronto
    Don't worry folks if women can get collagen injections to amplify their G-Spots I'm sure for a couple hundred bucks you could have the slap bass thumb of the Gods!

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    No, the kickboxer just gets used to the pain.

5. OMG that IS funny! :hyper:

6. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    No.. Real kickboxers (Muay Thai) far away in countries like thailand hit trees thousands of times a day so their bones become fatter, stronger and the nerves die so they bon't feel so much pain.. Normal leg would snap in real kickboxing conditions

7. kshewchuk

kshewchuk

Jun 3, 2007
    My friends couzen would rub a piece of metal on his shins and forearms (like for hours a day) and apparently that killed all the nerves somehow so he could barley feel it when he got hit.

And i notice watching slappers there thumb is more curved at the end then usual.

8. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    well try to compare your left and right thumb. Maybe you'll see a difference.. Then try to feel the size of your thumbs if you can't see

9. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Thumb boxing is an art as well, thumping the challenger to death and mortally wounding their ego. Like most sports, speed develops power and adding control makes you deadly.

I'm not sure my bone in the thumb is growing, but I got callouses and toughened nails.

Tom

10. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    As far as I know constant trauma does eventually sustain nerve damage and some numbness. I think some people have been watching too many movies. I have trained Muay Thai in Thailand and I didn't see one boxer kick a tree. We were all kicking heavy bags (and each other), and part of this is that your bones actually become stronger and thicker, and the muscles more conditioned to impact. Initially most people get lumps on their shins and many people roll coke bottles and the like to roll out these knots. Given all this I can see how your thumb would get fatter (would be the scar tissue build up as well like on the kickboxers legs).

11. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    about trees.. I've heard that somewhere but the thing is that it becomes fatter, stronger. My right thumb is fatter than left, maybe I'ts just callous maybe even the bone is a little fatter

12. Since so much slapping can get rid of the nerves...is that a good thing?

13. I thought your thumb grows bigger because of a callous formed by your body to protect the soft flesh on the pad/side of your digit from the rough string. Like the tops of your fretting and plucking fingers.

14. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah and did you know that if you have too much sex after awhile you can't get it up? woot woot and did you know that if you run too much after awhile you cant anymore? woot woot and did you know that after too much life you die? woot woot and did you know this thread is dumb?

Nope bet you didnt know that one

15. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    How many of you slap so hard that it hurts? I don't...

16. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Ummmm, no difference and I've been slapping since 1983.

17. BassSlave

BassSlave

Mar 2, 2006
    Chicago via Park Forest IL
    Endorsing artist: Sadowsky Basses & Dean Markley Strings
    No difference here either and I've been "thumping" since 1976. Both thumbs are identical. I've also had a lacerated tendon in my right thumb (I'm right-handed) repaired almost twenty years ago which resulted in losing all feeling in that thumb for the first couple of years after that. During that surgery they installed a metal rod the length of the thumb which made it very stiff for about five years afterward. Then three years later I had major surgery i my right arm due to major tendon cuts, as I broke a window with my forearm and the glass cut to the bone. This made me lose all feeling in my right hand and thumb (again) for two years afterward. I was able to use my index and middle fingers during the healing process. I can tell you all that through regular hand exercises and playing bass correctly, that I am 150% healed and have regained ALL feeling in my right thumb and hand. It is also starting to curve backward naturally as the thumb should. So now I am able to do all of the double, triple, quadruple and quintuple thumping that I use to do on a constant basis before my first accident. The tendons and nerve endings do grow back and if you feel pain when playing, just stop and work on other strengthening exercises. I've developed a few since then and can help anyone out.

18. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    ive been thumping for a year a so, maybe i need to thump more since i dont realli see any diff

19. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    No matter how much you thump, it won't become bigger, although it might become a bit sore if you do it too hard a lot.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! 30 years of playing and I never knew about this!! :rolleyes:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021