Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very Important Session

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Dear TB Brothers and Sisters,

I'm in the final preparations before what will most likely be the most important recording sessions of my life this weekend. My band, Mystery Feet, is working on our second CD and I have hired drummer extraodinaire Joel Rosenblatt for the sessions. We've got a two day lockout scheduled (actually can two days be considered a "lockout"?...whatever) for this Saturday and Sunday.

For those of you who may not be familiar with Joel, his credits include Michel Camilo, Paquito D'Rivera, Peter White, Steve Khan, Bill Evans, Oz Noy and Marion Meadows, just to name a few. Oh yeah, and there was that twelve year stint he just ended with a little band called Spyro Gyra. I'm truly honored he's agreed to work with us, and to say I'm thrilled and excited to work with him would be quite the understatement. If this record don't groove it'll all be on yours truly. :oops:

Anyway, I thought I would share my excitement and anticipation...okay and a bit of nervousness...with you cats, and kind of let you all in on the process as it unfolds. If anyone has any questions about, well, anything...please don't hesitate to post and I'll reply as best I can. I may even have an opportunity to post a progress report from the studio. I'll certainly be updating on Monday, and I'll share the good, the bad and the ugly...although I have little doubt it'll be all good. :D

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Studio diary would be nice!

I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't remember this, I was working with Sandra Reaves-Phillips at a little festival appearance in Rimouski Quebec (keerist, 89? 90?), Paquito was on the bill too. The flight from Montreal to Quebec City it was just Sandra's band and Paquito's band, less Danilo Perez, who apparently didn't know he would need his passport to fly into Canada and got left in NYC. The whole flight, the back row of the plane was me and Claudio Roditi, who was scrambling to get a bunch of parts written out for the piano sub (who turned out to be Renee Rosnes).

anyway, I had a nice hang in the airport coffee shop with our pianist (John McCallum), Lincoln Goines and Joel (with Paquito)while we waited for the vans that were gonna drive us to Rimouski. He's a real nice guy. And very funny.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Great idea on the diary, Ed.

Congratulations Craig. Psychologically, I think it's important to embrace a very positive outlook on this session, understanding how you got there, and that you deserve it. Embrace the experience, and let your talent and hard work come through. And remember how having an experienced and supremely talented musician can push you to new levels. No good luck necessary here, just have a good time.

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I'll do my best Ed.

Wow, some of those names are bringing back lots of memories! Having to do without Danilo Perez? Bummer man! I'll mention it to Joel, I'm sure he'll remember. And yes, he's a great cat.

Caudio Roditi lived here in West Hartford for a time, and he sat in with the band I was working in at the time occasionally. The band was called Street Temperature, and that was probably around '87, '88. Damn but we're gettin' a little long in the tooth, huh Ed? ;)

So Lincoln Goines was with Paquito at the time? Add his name to the list of pretty fair bassists Joel has worked with; Anthony Jackson, Victor Bailey, Ric Fierabracci, John Patitucci, Scott Ambush, Will Lee.

Not that that puts any added pressure on me Ed. Thanks. :eek:

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Words of great wisdom Jazzbo...and thanks. That's exactly how I'm approaching this.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Let me be the first to put some pressure on you!! :p You have to follow Scott Ambush!! :eek: Man, I would love to play with Joel! He's a monster of a drummer!! He's got Latin & Funk chops galore!!

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Just got in after day number one. Too tired to post the diary now...but all I have to say is I am a very happy camper. :D

Rosenblatt RULES! :bassist:

Three killer tracks in the can. Two more tomorrow.

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Okay...so I've been a little slow in updating. But dig...I've got a great video file of us tracking live in the studio, synched with a rough mix from ProTools. It's a complete take of a tune called "Upstream" (written by guitarist Frank Varela), warts and all, no fixes (including a very glaringly-wrong note at the bridge in the opening chorus by yours truly)...but of course fixes will certainly be done.

I'll have the file up on our website in a couple of days, but it should be uploaded to our EPK (Electronic Press Kit) by tomorrow.

I'll gladly email the files (largest is high res at 37MB) to anyone willing to host them right away, or if you just want to see it now. Just PM me and I'll send it to whomever is interested. Some cool close-ups of Rosenblatt at work. :cool:

9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
  10. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Thats great man! I love studio footage. Where did you guys record? I could not help but notice the huge window in the background. Looks like a cool room in an old building down town somewhere. Nice setup, did you guys get what you wanted?

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sweet Craig! Felt like I was watching "Studio Jams" on BET Jazz

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    It's a place called "Monster Lab Recording" in an old factory in New Britain, CT. Ironically, I worked there a couple of summers waaaay back in my high school/college years, as a good friend's father owned the company that used to occupy the building. It was the hardest and dirtiest work I ever did, but very educational, if you can dig.

Yes Droog...I couldn't have been much happier with the way the sessions came out. We ended up getting six solid tracks with Joel. We just need to make some fixes and they we can start to mix.

I might be announcing another guest drummer...just waiting to hear if we can work out the particulars. Now, it doesn't get much better than having a player like Joel Rosenblatt on your tracks...but it can get a little better. :D

It's hard to type with my fingers crossed. ;)

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, you suck!! :D

Seriously, that was some good sh** right there. And you were worried? You looked like the most relaxed cat there sitting with your leg crossed!! That was hot and great playing all around!! I dig your walking skills. I couldn't see what bass you were playing though. It sounded great! Keep up the good work!

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks DWB... :oops:

That's my Ken Smith MD7. The one in my avatar. ;)

A drummer that swings like that makes it easy to relax. :D

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just curious......how long did it take for Joel to learn that (or all) tune?? He made it seem so easy! Oh, and I didn't quite hear that bad note you spoke of. Guess I'll have to listen again! :D

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    We had charts for three out of the six tunes. Four had already been recorded, so there were "demos" of those tracks. However, Joel never received the demo CD we sent him. :eek:

No matter, he was able to learn everything with a few listens and quick rehearsal of the arrangements. The tune in the video had a chart, but as you can see Joel's not following the chart...and that was the first take. :smug:

Joel made several excellent suggestions as to arrangement, which were gratefully accepted. He really approached the sessions, and I'm quoting him, "as a band member" and not just a hired gun. That attitude was enormously appreciated by us all, and I feel it shows in the performances.

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Great tune Craig. May I ask a little more about it? (Who wrote it? Inspiration behind it? etc.)

Recording can be a frustrating time for many musicians. Here you are with a hired player whom possesses a stellar resume, and you come out of it with a great experience, arrangement tips from a pro, a great CD, got to play with a pro who sounds like a helluva guy, and you were kind enough to share it all with us.

That kicks ass.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Great tune! Thanks for posting the video!

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best Craig :) , is this your first recording with your Sadowsky?.

20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    My Ken Smith MD7, straight into an Aguilar DB900 tube DI, straight into ProTools. Couldn't be simpler. :D