1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VERY impressed with 06' MIM Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alistair R, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Played my first MIM jazz the other day, guitarist in my band owns an all white one, stock as a rock. WOW! What a bass! I expected this thing to be a somewhat 'clumsy' player, but this thing smoked! The neck feels absolutely amazing and it's as solid as a rock. The tone was sweet, very quiet no harsh hissing at all, could rake out a decent Marcus tone pretty effortlessly and also a great Jaco tone.

What I was most impressed at was the easy of play. This thing played like a breeze, set up very nicely. The action was a perfect height my playing. I've been using a Fender MIA Deluxe P bass for about 2.5 years now, and I feel that I want to sell it for a MIM Jazz bass! I believe that the MIM basses live up to their more expensive MIA counterparts, at under half the price of their American buddies.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    In my experience, individual basses vary a lot, even with equally good set-ups. I bought an MIM jazz (60s classic) a few years ago over several MIA Fenders, including a MIA Stack-pot RI.

However, I have also felt the need to modify my MIM jazz, mainly because I grew dissatisfied with the pickups, especially the hum (I was mainly an upright an P-bass player before).

3. Not actually my Jazz bass, and yes it's been set up. Yeah, I think there must be some hit and misses with the MIM's but this bass was a massive hit!

I also gigged it last night in a 3 piece rock/alt band, and it cut through like butter. It sounded fantastic.

4. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    an amazing bass, i prefer my two fenders (MIA and MIM) over any bass I have ever played, the way they feel just feels so nice!

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oops...I misread your post. :p
    Still, very cool you liked it.

6. Yep, I bought my first "real" bass (after learning on a Squier P-bass) two months ago.... a Fender Jazz, MIM 2006. Black with white pickguard. I love it. Sounds and feels amazing.

Unfortunately, my 30w practice amp does not. but oh well.

7. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    AMS has some open box specials on some lower end Ashdown stuff right now. You could replace it with a top notch practice amp real cheap.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I also bought a new MIM jazz this year. I ended up choosing a lefty brown sunburst MIM jazz over a MIA delux active jazz and a MIA standard P bass.

My Jazz has a very heavy body, plays like a dream and just feels so good in my hands. I did go a little craxy and install a BadassII bridge, 62 reissue pickups and had a red torte pickguard made for it. I just love this bass and play it all the time.

I would actually like to get some growlier pickups eventually but so far, its a fine bass and sits right next to my Musicman SR5.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I own a 05' MIM V and a 06' MIM 4 and love them both. My pups are a bit noisey but i keep em both on full to cancel out the hum. I feel these are the best basses you can buy for the buck...but i wouldnt of said this 3 years ago. Fender has up'ed its game on the MIM line and a dealer told me it is because the MIM are going to replace the MIA line. Fender will have the MIA customs and specials but the MIM will be the retail wall hangers. i recorded a few weeks ago with my MIM 4 and the studio owner said /man thats agreat bass super tone..he loved it.

10. My first bass was a 2006 MIM J-bass (arrived early February 06). Saddles on the bridge floated all over the place (resolved with a BAII bridge), and there was decisive hum (resolved with Dimarzio Js). I'd start bass all over again this way, after wrapping up my first year. Am I impressed with MIM j-bass in OEM form? Not sure, but ...

(edit) I love this bass now, and have not sold it, you will note. But I had to learn about mods to get this instrument to my own standards - even as a first year player.

11. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Yeah, you can tell the difference when some of the Fender basses are either made on a monday or a friday :p. My MIA feels amazing compared to some I tried out. One that I tried out at GC the frets were all rough etc... just seemed of lesser quality compared to mine. I guess mine was made on a monday instead of on the friday rush.

12. sounds like your dealer is full of it.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah that's a lot of malarky, Fender sells the MIM line to get a piece of the more affordable market (entry level) MIM basses are good basses that are readily available for upgrade any way you want. They come with standard parts that work well but do have their shortcomings. Pups are average and usually the first to go, bridge's get changed, tuners get changed and before you know it only the wood is original. I know many people who have done this! When you step up to a MIA bass there is nothing that needs changing, some people complain about jazz basses humming (I alway's play with both volumes the same) and put in aftermarket pups to solve this but that's it. I have three MIM basses and all three are modded!

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That monday friday thing may be true but sharp fret ends are the result of humidty changes (wood swells and contracts), this also affects neck bow that's why I tell people not to judge wall hanging basses too harshly. From time to time I have this problem with some of my unbound necked basses (especially MIM basses) that I have to watch the room temperature in which they are stored.